Emotional Vayalar Ravi in Kochi to meet convalescing wifeMay 24th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, May 24 (IANS) It was an emotional moment for Vayalar Ravi as he returned here Sunday after being sworn in as cabinet minister Friday, and went straight to meet his wife Mercy Ravi who is convalescing at a hospital.
Driving straight from the airport to the hospital, Vayalar Ravi held his wife’s hands and kissed her.
“I am here just to be with her. She is sad that she was not able to travel to Delhi for the swearing-in ceremony and hence I came here and I will return tomorrow,” said 71-year-old Ravi, holding her hands.
Mercy, a Christian, and Ravi, a Hindu, first met at college and fell in love with each other. Mercy, too, joined politics and was a Congress legislator from the Kottayam constituency during 2001-06.
On his arrival here, Vayalar Ravi was given a rousing welcome at the airport. Hundreds of his supporters shouted slogans welcoming him on his first visit to the hometown after being sworn in.
Police had a tough time in controlling his supporters who jostled with one another to get close to Ravi and greet him. The veteran Congress leader said his aim was to work with the MPs from Kerala for the overall development of the state.
“Kerala can look forward to a few more ministerial berths and we look forward for a healthy centre-state relations,” he told reporters.
In the previous Congress-led government, Vayalar Ravi was minister for overseas Indian affairs and also for parliamentary affairs. In the new ministry, he is yet to be alloted a portfolio.
He was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 1971 and again 1977. He was a member of the Rajya Sabha during 1994-2000 and then from 2003 onwards.
During 1982-1986, he was Kerala’s home minister in the cabinet of K. Karunakaran and in the early 1990s he defeated A.K. Antony, named defence minister Saturday, to become the president of the state Congress party.
- Chandy off to Delhi to discuss fifth berth controversy - Apr 15, 2012
- Kerala ex-minister M.P. Gangadharan dead - Oct 31, 2011
- Former Kerala CM Karunakaran dies after prolonged illness - Dec 23, 2010
- 'I am deeply pained to learn of Karunakaran's demise', says Krishna - Dec 23, 2010
- Karunakaran: A colossus who rubbed shoulders with Nehru, Indira (Obituary) - Dec 23, 2010
- Kerala Congress elated as state gets two cabinet - May 22, 2009
- Left out of cabinet, Karunakaran's son miffed - May 23, 2011
- Kerala mourns as Karunakaran dies, CPI-M salutes him (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2010
- My daughter will not contest poll: Vayalar Ravi - Mar 13, 2011
- Muraleedharan set to return to Congress fold - Feb 15, 2011
- Congress condoles death of former Kerala CM Karunakaran - Dec 23, 2010
- Ajit Singh takes charge of 'sensitive' civil aviation - Dec 19, 2011
- Congress duo proves winning combination in Kerala - Nov 09, 2010
- PM pays homage to Karunakaran in Thrissur (Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Aviation ministry gets new face at helm - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: cabinet minister, congress leader, congress party, defence minister, emotional moment, home minister, indian affairs, k karunakaran, kerala, kochi, legislator, Lok Sabha, ministerial berths, new ministry, parliamentary affairs, rajya sabha, rousing welcome, state congress, swearing in ceremony, vayalar ravi