Election rigging was planned months in advance, says MoussaviJune 21st, 2009 - 1:16 am ICT by IANS
Tehran/Berlin, June 20 (DPA) Mir-Hossein Moussavi, the presidential candidate defeated in last week’s contested poll, has written a letter to Iran’s Guardian Council Saturday, saying that he believes the election was rigged in advance.
In the seven-page letter, made public as clashes were going on between police and protestors in Tehran, Moussavi said “I will continue my efforts to clarify the truth on the basis of the constitution and current laws, although the violations and planning of this disgusting move had been planned in advance.”
The Guardian Council had offered to recount 10 percent of votes randomly to prove the veracity of the poll.
Protestors Saturday defied a stern injunction by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to stop the demonstrations, and turned out in Tehran and other cities. Police used tear-gas and water cannon to break up the protests, witnesses said.
- Police fire shots at Tehran protest, Moussavi warned over unrest - Jun 20, 2009
- Iran does not rule out expulsion of diplomats over protests (Lead) - Jun 22, 2009
- Khamenei calls for an end to Iran's election disputes - Jun 28, 2009
- Khamenei backs Ahmadinejad, calls for end to protests (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Iran to recount 10 percent of ballot boxes, says report - Jun 20, 2009
- Iran's Moussavi urged to resolve election issues through legal channels - Jun 16, 2009
- Iran's opposition candidate Rezaei withdraws poll complaint - Jun 24, 2009
- Iran's Guardian Council offers Moussavi a deal - Jun 27, 2009
- Iran's Guardian Council confirms election result (Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
- Seven killed in Iran protest, Moussavi calls for re-poll - Jun 16, 2009
- Pro-Moussavi protestors in Iran demand new election - Jun 18, 2009
- Hundreds of thousands join protest rally in Tehran (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Khamenei warns opposition against undermining establishment - Dec 13, 2009
- Black, green prevail as Tehran streets again thronged (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Moussavi complains of arrests, as Iran stalemate continues (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
Tags: ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, clashes, constitution, demonstrations, election rigging, guardian council, hossein, injunction, iran, moussavi, poll, presidential candidate, protestors, protests, supreme leader ayatollah, tear gas, tehran, veracity, water cannon