Election panel to ensure handicapped-friendly polling boothsApril 10th, 2009 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 10 (IANS) The Election Commission will ensure that polling booths in the Lok Sabha elections have facilities for the blind and other handicapped people, a senior official said here.
Disability Activists Forum (DAF) - comprising Human Rights Law Network, Ankur Advocacy Group and other voluntary organisations - recently met West Bengal’s joint state chief electoral officer N.K. Sahana and asked for proper arrangements for the disabled so that they can cast their votes in the April-May elections.
“We’ll try to provide adequate arrangements for the disabled voters at all the booths across the state in the coming polls. There will be Braille-compliant EVMs (electronic voting machines), Braille ballot papers, ramp arrangements for wheelchairs at all the booths,” Sahana told IANS Thursday evening.
He said there will be 66,109 booths across the state in the elections.
Jija Ghosh, 35, a cerebral palsy patient, said: “With India becoming a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability (UNCRPD) in 2007, the state is legally bound to make the voting process accessible to us.”
Another physically challenged voter Kuhu Das, 42, said that apart from UNCRPD, there’s the Supreme Court order of 2004, asking all states to ensure that physically challenged persons can exercise their franchise properly.
- First phase of Bihar elections witnesses 53 per cent polling - Oct 21, 2010
- Average voting in initial hours of Delhi civic polls (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011
- When a table, ceiling fan, cycle are banned near Bengal poll booths - Apr 18, 2011
- Simulated polls to test new voting system - Jun 15, 2011
- Voting picks up in Delhi civic polls (Third Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Choppers bring EVMs from remote districts to Imphal - Jan 29, 2012
- Tight security, long voter queues in Maoist heartland (Second Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Additional security for Manipur re-poll - Feb 03, 2012
- Bengalis living abroad may vote in assembly polls - Feb 16, 2011
- Over 55 percent turnout in Delhi civic polls, highest in 15 years (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2012
- Full security for poll officials in Bengal's Maoist belt - Mar 30, 2011
- Assam voters pitch for development - Apr 17, 2011
- Your vote would soon get printed as proof: Poll panel chief - Feb 04, 2011
- Poll panel to end voting two hours earlier in sixth phase - May 10, 2011
Tags: adequate arrangements, advocacy group, ballot papers, braille, cerebral palsy, chief electoral officer, daf, disability activists, election commission, electronic voting machines, franchise, ghosh, lok sabha elections, polling booths, ramp, sahana, signatory, voluntary organisations, west bengal, wheelchairs