Election panel seeks report on Punjab officers’ activitiesAugust 21st, 2011 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 21 (IANS) The Election Commission has sought a report on the activities of Punjab director general of police (DGP) P.S. Gill and D.S. Guru, the principal secretary to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
A communication to Punjab’s chief electoral officer has sought the report after certain political parties, including the main opposition Congress, recently complained to Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi about their political activities.
“Some political parties had complained about certain state government officials and their biased behaviour, in particular about deployment of about 350 police security guards for certain individuals in Moga district with ulterior motive.
“It was also alleged that the DGP had made several visits in recent past to Moga district with a view to nurturing it politically,” said the communication from Election Commission director Yashvir Singh received by the election department here Saturday.
The commission also directed that activities of Guru, whose name was mentioned in the complaint submitted by political party representatives, be kept under watch so that he is not able to influence any election-related official or process, it added.
The political parties had urged the Election Commission to check the activities of these top officers, saying they were misusing their positions in the Badal government to prepare the ground for contesting elections from different assembly seats.
The Punjab chief electoral officer has been asked to send the report on these two officers and other matters related to next year’s assembly election in the state by Aug 25.
Elections for 117 assembly seats in the state are scheduled to be held Feb-March next year.
- Poll panel asks for report on Punjab top cop - Aug 20, 2011
- Punjab poll have something 'official' about it! - Jan 20, 2012
- Akali Dal announces 48 names for Punjab assembly polls - Dec 23, 2011
- Poll panel asks Punjab to monitor two officers - Aug 25, 2011
- Poll panel orders watch on former Punjab cop's activities - Nov 13, 2011
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Poll panel transfers 18 Punjab officials - Dec 27, 2011
- Two Punjab bureaucrats-turned-politicians bite the dust (Poll sidelights) - Mar 06, 2012
- Amarinder attacks Akalis over Punjab police chief - Jul 09, 2011
- All eyes on Lambi as Punjab heads for assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- 'Jeeta and Jaggi', 'Jhootha and Thaggi' colour Punjab campaign - Jan 13, 2012
- Anil Kaushik is new Punjab top cop - Sep 30, 2011
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Badal vs Badal vs Badal in Punjab's Lambi seat - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: assembly election, assembly seats, chief election commissioner, chief electoral officer, chief minister, dgp, director general, election commission, election department, feb march, guru, opposition congress, parkash, party representatives, police security, political parties, principal secretary, quraishi, security guards, state government officials