Election Commission issues notice to cabinet secretaryMay 6th, 2009 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) The Election Commission Wednesday took strong note of the government’s reported decision of setting up a high-level committee to consider the ex-servicemen’s one rank-one pension demand that may be in violation of the poll conduct code.
The poll panel issued notice to union Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrasekhar seeking clarification from him on media reports about the decision.
According to the reports, the government Tuesday set up a high-level committee headed by the cabinet secretary to consider the ex-servicemen’s demand and reduce the gap in their pensionary benefits.
“Based on the media reports, the commission decided to issue notice to (the) cabinet secretary, seeking his clarification on the matter,” Deputy Election Commissioner R. Balakrishnan said.
The government’s decision comes after a large number of ex-servicemen criticised it for ignoring their demand and vowed to vote for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the polls.
- 'No panel on ex-servicemen's pay anomalies' - May 11, 2009
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- High-level committees to look at ex-servicemen's 'One Rank, One Pension' demand - May 04, 2009
- Health scheme approved for Nepal-domiciled Gorkhas - Jan 04, 2012
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Retired defence personnel demand hike in pension - Jul 11, 2010
- Defence pay committee makes presentation before PM - Jun 25, 2009
- Armed forces feel left out of national security decision - Nov 03, 2011
- Government accepts recommendations on ex-servicemen's pension - Mar 10, 2010
- Pension of major's widow raised from Rs.80 to Rs.18,000 (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- Govt. implements committee recommendations on ex-soldiers pension - Mar 10, 2010
- PM clarifies on one-rank-one-pension for armed forces (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- Report on one rank one pension by month end: President - Jun 04, 2009