Election Commission in Kolkata to review poll preparednessApril 28th, 2011 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 28 (IANS) The full bench of the Election Commission arrived here Thursday for a daylong visit to oversee preparedness for the last three phases of the West Bengal assembly elections.
Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi and the other two Election Commissioners - V.S. Sampath and H.S. Brahma - are scheduled to hold review meetings with the district administration and the top police brass of the seven districts that go to the polls in the remaining three rounds, official said.
The seven districts that will vote in the fourth, fifth and sixth phases are Howrah, Hooghly, East Midnapore, Burdwan, West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia.
The Election Commission, which met different political parties, will also hold discussions with the state chief secretary, home secretary, director general of police and Kolkata police commissioner.
Housing minister and ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Gautam Deb is also slated to meet the commissioners regarding his allegation that the main opposition Trinamool Congress was using black money to fund its election campaign.
They will address mediapersons before leaving for New Delhi.
In the first three phases, elections were held in 179 constituencies spread over 12 districts. Of the remaining 115, 63 constituencies will go to the polls May 3, 38 on May 7 and 14 on May 10.
The vote count is on May 13.
- EC meets top Bengal officials to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 28, 2011
- EC to visit West Bengal to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 27, 2011
- Full EC to visit Bengal April 28 - Apr 25, 2011
- Election commissioners to visit Lucknow Friday - Jan 05, 2012
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Notification for fifth phase of West Bengal polls issued - Apr 11, 2011
- Voting under way for fifth round of Bengal polls (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Polling ends in Bengal, 83 percent votes cast - May 07, 2011
- Peaceful voting in Bengal's Maoist-hit districts (Second Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Voting for fourth phase ends, 84.55 percent polling - May 03, 2011
- Singur, Nandigram vote in round four of West Bengal polls (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Bengal polls: Choppers deployed in Maoist-hit districts - May 05, 2011
- Two poll officials die in Bengal polls first phase - Apr 19, 2011
- 83 percent votes cast in round five of Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - May 08, 2011
Tags: bankura, black money, burdwan, chief election commissioner, chief secretary, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, district administration, election commission, election commissioners, gautam, home secretary, housing minister, midnapore, police brass, quraishi, ruling communist party, s sampath, state chief, west bengal assembly elections