Egypt’s ex-president Mubarak denies all charges

August 3rd, 2011 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS  

London, Aug 3 (IANS) Egypt’s former president Hosni Mubarak on the first day of his trial in Cairo Wednesday denied all charges of corruption and ordering the killing of protesters.

The 83-year-old is being tried with his sons, ex-interior minister Habib al-Adly and six other former officials. He was forced from office by mass demonstrations in February.

Mubarak was wheeled on a hospital bed into a cage in court to the astonishment of onlookers outside, BBC reported.

As charges against the Mubaraks were read out, Hosni Mubarak and his sons each denied them.

“Yes, I am here,” the former president said, raising his hand slightly when the judge asked him to identify himself and enter a plea. “I deny all these accusations completely.”

“I have not committed any such crimes,” said Mubarak.

Presiding Judge Ahmed Refaat announced that the trial of Mubarak and his two sons will resume Aug 15, Xinhua reported.

The court decided to put Mubarak at the international hospital complex in Ismailia desert road, not far from the Police Academy, the report added.

The trial of Al-Adly and the six other security officials is due to resume Thursday.

Earlier, around 3,000 soldiers and police were drafted in to ensure order at the police academy on the first day of the trial of Mubarak and his sons.

There was doubt till the last moment, ahead of the commencement of the trial, whether Mubarak would actually appear in court.

His defence team claimed he was seriously ill and there had been speculation they might negotiate for him to remain in the hospital wing of the police academy while the proceedings took place in the courtroom, BBC report stated.

But Mubarak was wheeled into the cage from where he observed the proceedings with the other defendants, including his two sons Alaa and Gamal.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Politics |

Subscribe