Egyptian uprising inspired by Tunisia’s upheavalFebruary 12th, 2011 - 3:41 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 12 (IANS) The month-long revolution in Tunisia, which led to the change of a 23-year military regime, was the inspiration for the uprising by Egyptians against Hosni Mubarak’s 30-year rule.Protests in Egypt broke out Jan 25, as opposition groups waged an internet campaign a week after the uprising in Tunisia. Weeks of unrest toppled Tunisian president Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.
BBC had earlier reported that in Cairo, thousands joined the protests after an internet campaign inspired by the uprising in Tunisia.
According to UN, at least 219 people died during and in the immediate aftermath of Tunisia’s uprising which erupted over a steep rise in inflation, unemployment and corruption. Ben Ali, along with his family, fled Tunisia Jan 14.
Several Egyptians tried to set themselves on fire during the initial phase of demonstrations, a move that was similar to the Tunisian uprising which began after the self-immolation of an unemployed youth.
Although Cairo’s Tahrir Square remained the epicentre during the 18 days of unrest, other cities like Alexandria and Suez also witnessed violence and demonstrations, leading to the death of nearly 300 people across the country.
- Egypt president's son, family flee to Britain - Jan 26, 2011
- Egypt president's son, family flee to Britain (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Key events of the 18-day Egyptian uprising - Feb 12, 2011
- One killed in Cairo, protestors confront security forces - Jan 28, 2011
- Saudi man dies after setting himself on fire - Jan 23, 2011
- The Mubarak effect - protests spread near and far (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- El Baradie joins anti-government protest in Egypt - Jan 28, 2011
- Tunisian PM's website hacked - Apr 09, 2012
- Tunisian minister quits - Mar 01, 2011
- French PM admits to New Year's holiday at Mubarak's cost - Feb 09, 2011
- Arab Spring sweeps away despotic regimes (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
- Egyptian protesters clash with police in anti-government protests - Jan 26, 2011
- 'Tunisian protests serve as red flag for Arab autocracies' - Jan 16, 2011
- Curfew lifted in Tunisia - Feb 16, 2011
- Indian constitution among models to be inspired by: Tunisian minister (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,