Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak’s sonsApril 18th, 2011 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, April 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egyptian prosecutors questioned Alaa and Gamal Mubarak, sons of the ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, said a spokesman for the Egyptian prosecutor’s general office.
Mubarak and his two sons were detained Tuesday, following an investigation into corruption and abuse of office allegations.
Along with the allegations of corruption and amassing about $700 million from state funds, Gamal, who was the head of the ruling National Democratic Party’s policies committee, is suspected of ordering police forces to open fire on the protesters at Tahrir Square in late January.
He is also alleged to have illegaly exported gold from Egypt.
The two brothers were interrogated in Tora Prison, outside Cairo. They had not been summoned to the prosecutor’s office because of the security concerns, Egyptian TV said.
Egyptian media said the two brothers could be jailed or hanged if convicted. The trial is expected to last at least one year.
In early March, former Egyptian interior minister Habib al-Adly also went on trial on embezzlement and money laundering charges.
Mubarak stepped down Feb 11 following 18 days of large-scale anti-government protests that broke out in Cairo and quickly spread throughout Egypt, leaving over 350 people dead and about 5,500 injured.
- Mubarak to go on trial over protester shootings - May 25, 2011
- Mubarak to be transferred to Cairo for trial - Aug 03, 2011
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Ex-Egyptian minister faces trial for corruption - Mar 05, 2011
- Egypt extends detention of Mubarak's sons for 15 days - Apr 27, 2011
- Mubarak found guilty of role in protesters' killings (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Mubarak's ex-chief of staff to stand office abuse trial - Aug 18, 2011
- Spain to hand over Mubarak confidant - Oct 11, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak's health is deteriorating - Jun 06, 2012
- Mubarak summoned for interrogation, ex-PM in custody - Apr 11, 2011
- Ousted Egyptian President Mubarak to stand trial on August 3 - Jun 02, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak to be moved to prison hospital - Apr 25, 2011
- Mubarak may be executed for ordering demonstrators' killings - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,