Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits GazaMarch 29th, 2012 - 1:33 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, March 28 (IANS) An Egyptian parliamentary delegation arrived on Wednesday in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip for a visit.
The delegation crossed from Egypt to Gaza on Wednesday through Rafah crossing point on the borders between the Gaza Strip and Egypt, and will hold meetings with leaders of Islamic Hamas movement, reported Xinhua.
Mohamed Idrees, head of the Arab Affairs Committee in the Egyptian parliament, told a news conference in Gaza that the delegation includes 28 lawmakers, including Islamist lawmakers.
It is the committee’s first visit to Gaza, Idrees said.
The Egyptian parliament is dominated by the Islamists, mainly members of the Muslim Brotherhood and the Salafists.
“We came here to show the historic linkage between Egypt and Palestine. Egypt’s stance towards the Palestinians is stable and Egypt will never be a friend to the Zionist entity (referring to Israel),” said Idrees.
He added that Israel “is the strategic enemy to Egypt, and we called for evaluating the treaties that Egypt and some of the Arabs had signed with Israel and completely severing ties with it. ”
Ahmed Bahar, deputy speaker of the Hamas-dominated Palestinian parliament, told reporters that the visit of the Egyptian lawmakers “is historic and carries many political implications to defy the Israeli siege.”
“This visit is made as the Gaza Strip is going through a severe crisis of fuel and energy shortage, where slow death is threatening the life of patients and children, some of whom died this week due to the crisis,” said Bahar.
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Hamas team embarks on Arab tour via Egypt - Mar 04, 2011
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Around 16,500 Palestinians cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 25, 2010
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israeli airstrike kills 2 Hamas officers in southern Gaza Strip - Sep 20, 2012
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: affairs committee, arab affairs, arabs, delegation visits, deputy speaker, egyptian parliament, energy shortage, gaza strip, hamas, hamas movement, islamists, lawmakers, muslim brotherhood, palestinian parliament, parliamentary delegation, political implications, salafists, slow death, xinhua, zionist entity