Egypt to lift three decades old state of emergencyJanuary 25th, 2012 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The 30-year-long state of emergency in Egypt will be lifted from Wednesday, the head of the country’s ruling military council, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, said Tuesday.
“I have made a decision to end the state of emergency starting on the morning of January 25, 2012,” Tantawi said in a televised address.
Wednesday is the first anniversary of the start of an uprising that ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
Tantawi added that the emergency law would still be applied in cases of “thuggery.”
The head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) also said the military would reassume its traditional role after the transitional period ends.
Tantawi and the SCAF that he leads took over power in Egypt after Mubarak’s government was toppled.
The state of emergency has been in place since 1981, when extremists killed president Anwar Sadat.
- Top military dismissals are in Egypt's interests: Morsi (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Egypt after a year of civilian uprising - Jan 25, 2012
- One year on, Egyptians back at Tahrir Square (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Egypt president orders defence minister to retire - Aug 13, 2012
- Egypt's military council appoints new PM (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Islamist parties sweep Egyptian election - Jan 22, 2012
- Egypt protests continue despite authorities' concessions - Nov 23, 2011
- Egyptians vote in presidential poll run-off - Jun 16, 2012
- Egypt to celebrate first week without Mubarak - Feb 18, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak's health is deteriorating - Jun 06, 2012
- Egypt's military rulers dissolve parliament, suspend constitution (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2011
- Muslim Brotherhood seeks dialogue to 'save revolution' - May 26, 2012
- Egyptian army to hand over power May 24 - May 03, 2012
- 74 dead, 1,000 injured in Egypt football violence (Third Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Egypt's ruling military pardons nearly 2,000 detainees - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: anwar sadat, armed forces, cairo, emergency law, extremists, field marshal, hosni mubarak, jan 24, military council, period ends, president anwar, president hosni mubarak, ria novosti, scaf, state of emergency, supreme council, tantawi, three decades, transitional period, uprising