Egypt president orders defence minister to retireAugust 13th, 2012 - 9:38 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Aug 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has deposed the country’s defence minister and a top military officer, pushing them into “retirement” but naming them as presidential advisors.
Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi, the defence minister who headed the military council that ruled Egypt for 17 months after the 2011 ouster of longtime leader Hosni Mubarak, and the military chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Sami Anan, “will be sent to retirement”, state-run Nile Television reported Sunday.
According to an announcement by Morsi’s spokesman, the new head of the military would be Gen. Abdellatif Sisi.
Morsi also cancelled a constitutional declaration aiming to limit presidential powers which the ruling army council issued in June as the election that brought him to power drew to a close.
The president, who was elected in June, is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Relations between the Brotherhood and the military have been tense since the fall of Mubarak.
- Top military dismissals are in Egypt's interests: Morsi (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Egyptian army to hand over power May 24 - May 03, 2012
- Islamist Morsi sworn in as Egypt's president - Jun 30, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood seeks dialogue to 'save revolution' - May 26, 2012
- Suleiman a key member of Egypt's military council - Feb 12, 2011
- Egypt court clears Mubarak aides for election - Jun 15, 2012
- Egypt presidential hopeful wants Sharia law-based constitution - May 14, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi wins Egyptian presidency (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Islamist parties sweep Egyptian election - Jan 22, 2012
- Egypt passes constitutional amendments - Jun 18, 2012
- Egypt protests continue despite authorities' concessions - Nov 23, 2011
- No restrictions for tourists in Egypt - Jun 30, 2012
- Egypt to lift three decades old state of emergency - Jan 25, 2012
- Egyptian parliament meets despite court ruling - Jul 11, 2012
- EU welcomes Morsi as Egypt's new leader - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: abdellatif, anan, army council, chief of staff, defence minister, egyptian president, field marshal, hosni mubarak, longtime leader, military chief, military council, military officer, mohammed hussein, muslim brotherhood, ouster, president mohamed, president orders, retirement state, ria novosti, sisi