Egypt parliamentary polls to begin Nov 21September 18th, 2011 - 9:04 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Sep 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egypt’s supreme election commission has proposed to hold elections to the country’s parliament starting Nov 21, the Al Ahram newspaper said.
Elections to both the upper and lower chambers of parliament will be held in three stages. Polls to choose lawmakers in the lower house — the People’s Assembly — will be held from Nov 21 to Jan 3, 2012.
Elections to select members of the upper house — the Shura Council — will be held from Jan 22 to March 4.
The announcement comes amid growing dissatisfaction with how the reforms are being conducted by the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces.
A rally was held recently to demand the council to speed up power transition to democratically elected authorities. The rally turned violent when some protesters attacked the Israeli embassy in Cairo.
Egypt has no democratically elected parliament and executive power after president Hosni Mubarak stepped down in the wake of nationwide protests. The military council dismissed the parliament and demanded the constitution to be rewritten or amended.
Under the reform plan, the parliament is to be elected first to draft the new constitution. Then a president would be elected.
- Egypt's military unveils schedule of power transfer - Oct 03, 2011
- Islamist parties sweep Egyptian election - Jan 22, 2012
- Egypt passes constitutional amendments - Jun 18, 2012
- Egypt protests continue despite authorities' concessions - Nov 23, 2011
- Egypt presidential polls in June 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors demand death for Mubarak - Jan 06, 2012
- Egyptians vote for new leader - Jun 17, 2012
- Egypt to celebrate first week without Mubarak - Feb 18, 2011
- Egypt to hold presidential election in May - Mar 01, 2012
- Egypt's military rulers dissolve parliament, suspend constitution (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2011
- Egyptians vote in presidential poll run-off - Jun 16, 2012
- Egypt's military council opens Facebook page - Feb 18, 2011
- 'Mount indefinite protests over lenient Mubarak sentence' - Jun 03, 2012
- Egyptian army to hand over power May 24 - May 03, 2012
- Egypt's military council set to ban strikes - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: al ahram newspaper, cairo egypt, dissatisfaction, election commission, embassy in cairo, executive power, hosni mubarak, israeli embassy, lawmakers, military council, parliament, parliamentary polls, power transition, president hosni mubarak, protesters, protests, ria novosti, shura council, supreme council, upper house