Egypt, Hamas agree on truce plan, await Israeli approvalJanuary 16th, 2009 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 16 (DPA) Egypt and the Islamist Palestinian movement Hamas have agreed to a five-step plan that calls for a ceasefire as of Saturday, an Arab newspaper reported Friday as a senior Israeli official arrived for talks in Cairo.The pan-Arab Al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper, quoting Egyptian officials, said Egypt and Hamas have agreed to the Egyptian truce initiative, which now needs the approval of Israel.
Under the plan, Israel’s offensive in the Gaza Strips and Hamas’ rocket attacks on Israel should stop Saturday and Israeli troops should begin a gradual withdrawal from the Gaza Strip the same day.
Aid and other goods would be allowed into Gaza following the ceasefire. Hamas and Israel would then consider a one-year truce that would be evaluated after it expires.
The fourth step calls for the opening of borders with the supervision of Egypt, Turkey and European countries. The Rafah border between Egypt and Gaza would be opened with the supervision of Palestinian and international authorities.
The plan also calls for Palestinian factions to reconcile after ending the crisis in Gaza.
Senior Israeli official Amos Gilad arrived in Cairo Friday to review the plan. Gilad’s visit was the second in less than 48 hours.
- Hamas delegation in Cairo for talks on Gaza ceasefire - Jan 25, 2009
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Egypt building Gaza underground wall - Dec 17, 2009
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- No preconditions to Israeli ceasefire: Hamas - Jan 16, 2009
- Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone over Gaza - Apr 11, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas member allowed back in Gaza after leaving $12 mn in Egypt - Feb 06, 2009
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: al sharq al awsat newspaper, amos gilad, borders, cairo, ceasefire, dpa, egypt, egyptian officials, european countries, gaza strip, hamas, international authorities, israeli official, israeli troops, movement hamas, palestinian factions, palestinian movement, pan arab, rocket attacks, truce