Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap dealOctober 12th, 2011 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Oct 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egypt has confirmed a deal between Israel and Hamas on the exchange of some 1,000 jailed Palestinians and Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, the Egyptian MENA news agency reported Wednesday.
“The Egyptian intelligence applied great efforts being in contact with Hamas and Israel… and managed to reach a deal, which is expected to be implemented with a week,” the agency said.
The agency added that some of the jailed Palestinians to be released have been sentenced to serve long terms in Israeli prisons.
Israel Defense Forces Soldier Shalit was seized in June 2006 by Palestinian militants while on patrol near the Gaza Strip.
The Palestinians have demanded the release from Israeli prisons of nearly 1,000 of their men in exchange for Shalit.
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Israel frees Egyptian prisoners under swap deal - Oct 28, 2011
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Netanyahu to hold talks with Mubarak in Egypt Tuesday - Dec 27, 2009
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
- Israel inner cabinet meets to discuss prisoner swap deal - Dec 21, 2009
- Four doctors visited Israeli soldier held in Gaza Strip: report - Dec 06, 2009
- Egypt extends suspected Israeli spy's custody for 15 days - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: cairo, egypt, forces soldier, gaza strip, gilad shalit, hamas, hellip, intelligence, israel, israel defense forces, israeli prisons, israeli soldier, mena, news agency, palestinian militants, palestinian prisoners, palestinians, ria novosti, swap deal