Edward Kennedy to be buried in Arlington Cemetery SaturdayAugust 27th, 2009 - 4:57 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 27 (Xinhua) US Senator Edward Kennedy who died Wednesday after a battle with brain cancer will be buried at the Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia Saturday, his family said in a statement.
A private funeral mass and a memorial service will be held in Boston, Massachusetts, the statement said.
“Senator Kennedy will be laid to rest next to (former US) president John F. Kennedy and (former) senator Robert Kennedy,” his family said in the statement said.
Senator Kennedy’s body will be kept at the John Fitzgerald Kennedy presidential library in Boston Friday from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. for public view.
A private memorial service will be held at the library Friday and a funeral mass will be held at 3.45 p.m. Saturday in Boston.
The burial will take place at 5 p.m. Saturday at the Arlington National Cemetery.
“Senator Kennedy spent more days than most at Arlington, nation’s resting place for its heroes, visiting the graves of his beloved brothers and paying tribute to the fallen men and women of Massachusetts who gave their lives for our country,” said the statement.
Edward Kennedy, also known as “Teddy”, was the brother of former US president John F. Kennedy who was assassinated in 1963. He was the last of his four brothers.
After battling with brain tumor for 15 months, Kennedy died at his home in Hyannis Port in Massachusetts, just weeks after the death of his sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver Aug 11.
Kennedy was first elected to the Senate in 1962, when his brother John was president. He served eight terms in the Senate.
- Ted to be inhumed next to brothers - Aug 27, 2009
- Family gathering in Kennedy's final journey - Aug 28, 2009
- Kennedy's funeral to be attended by five US presidents - Aug 28, 2009
- Edward Kennedy To Have Boston Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy funeral: Obama to deliver eulogy - Aug 27, 2009
- Thousands mourn and hail Ted Kennedy - Aug 28, 2009
- Obama to speak at Kennedy funeral; burial at Arlington (Lead) - Aug 27, 2009
- `Celebration of Life' memorial for Kennedy in Boston - Aug 29, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Obama Set To Deliver Eulogy At Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy dies at 77 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver dies at 88 - Aug 11, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Senator Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- RIP Ted Kennedy: Lion of the Senate at peace - Aug 26, 2009
Tags: arlington cemetery, arlington national cemetery, beloved brothers, boston massachusetts, brain cancer, brain tumor, brother john, edward kennedy, four brothers, hyannis port, john fitzgerald kennedy, kennedy presidential library, kennedy shriver, president john f kennedy, private funeral mass, private memorial service, senator edward kennedy, senator kennedy, senator robert kennedy, visiting the graves