Echoes of ‘Rang de basanti’ at Azad MaidanAugust 16th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 16 (IANS) A huge crowd, including singer-composer Vishal Dadlani, sang “Yeh desh hai veer jawaano ka” and “Rang de basanti”, while others shouted slogans like “Vande Mataram” and “Inquilab zindabad” at the Azad Maidan here Tuesday afternoon in protest against Anna Hazare’s arrest.
The massive ground was full of people voicing their anger against Hazare’s detention in New Delhi’s Tihar Jail. The gathering also saw participation from the Hindi film industry, as Vishal, actor Purab Kohli and producer-actor Raghu Ram turned up to show their support to the native of Maharashtra.
“I am proud of India, and that is why I have come here,” said Purab, who sported a black t-shirt with Hazare’s picture on it. The t-shirt read: “I Am Hazare” - a feeling that almost all people present at the venue shared.
Vishal, who wore a black ribbon, like many protesters, said: “Till Hazare is not let free, and till he doesn’t win the movement, I will keep this band on my wrist.”
Condemning Hazare’s arrest, Vishal told IANS: “Why would the government stop this protest? If they are stopping this movement against corruption, it just shows who they are. It is a non-violent way of protest and everyone can do it.
“I am not here as a representative of Bollywood. It is my individual expression in support of Hazare’s movement.”
Vishal set the mood going at the grounds by singing songs. Many people went for voluntary arrest to support Hazare’s ‘jail bharo’ (fill the jail) campaign and walked around holding aloft the Indian flag.
Many wore tricolour t-shirts that read: “We are fighting for our second freedom”. Some ever wore blazers with a paper posted on their back. A hand-written note on the paper read: “I want to be arrested”.
Anna Hazare’s supporters made sure the protest was peaceful as they kept stressing that there should be complete cooperation with the police.
- Bollywood condemns Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna supporter enters parliament complex, detained - Aug 26, 2011
- Anna's absence, chill keep crowds away from Ramlila ground - Dec 28, 2011
- Film fraternity came out in full strength to support Anna's movement - Aug 28, 2011
- Anna vs IPL, where will you be? - Apr 08, 2011
- Anna Hazare calls for 'Jail Bharo' campaign on April 13 (Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Harassment and obscenity in times of a people's movement - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna Hazare, Kejriwal, Bedi detained (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Now, Ramdev caps, bands a hit at Ramlila ground - Aug 09, 2012
- Over one lakh netizens pledge to court arrest to back Anna - Dec 26, 2011
- 'India Against Corruption' demonstration outside UN - Aug 13, 2011
- Cheers, slogans as Anna leaves Tihar for Ramlila ground (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna supporters throng outside Tihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Hazare, associates detained, protests across Delhi (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Bollywood hails Anna Hazare's success - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, azad, black ribbon, bollywood, desh, echoes, hindi film industry, indian flag, individual expression, maharashtra, maidan, mataram, protesters, purab kohli, singing songs, slogans, tihar jail, tricolour, tuesday afternoon, zindabad