Each Left party to review poll reverses individually (Lead)May 17th, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) Leaders of the Left parties Sunday announced that each party will individually review the reverses suffered by them in the 2009 general elections.
“In the light of the Lok Sabha election results, it was decided that each party individually would review the reverses suffered in the elections. Following this, the Left parties will come to a collective assessment on how to overcome the shortcomings and move ahead,” a statement following a Left parties meeting here Sunday said.
Top Left leaders from the Communist Party of India - Marxist (CPI-M), Communist Party of India (CPI), All-India Forward Bloc (AIFB) and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP), who attended the meeting, said in a statement that Left parties will work as a responsible opposition in parliament.
The Left leaders who attended the meeting included A.B. Bardhan, Prakash Karat, Debabrata Biswas, T.J. Chandrachoodan, Sitaram Yechury, S. Ramachandran Pillai, D. Raja and G. Devarajan.
The statement added that the Left parties will continue their cooperation with the non-Congress, non-BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) allies.
Left parties were decimated, including in their traditional strongholds of West Bengal and Kerela, in the 2009 general elections. The Left parties won only 24 seats this time, a far cry from their best-ever tally of 59 seats in the 2004 Lok Sabha polls.
- Left says presidential candidate should be widely accepted - May 23, 2012
- Left opposes hike in fuel prices - May 23, 2012
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- Forward Bloc questions Left's plan to attend Obama speech (Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Third Front meet cancelled, Left to discuss defeat - May 17, 2009
- Left parties divided over supporting Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Fuel price hike a cruel blow on the people: Left - Jun 25, 2010
- CPI-M, Forward Bloc to back Pranab, CPI, RSP to skip poll (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Change in Left's 'olden' perception towards Obama? - Oct 28, 2010
- Communist leaders to meet Chinese leaders Monday - Oct 30, 2010
- Left will win over 150 seats in Bengal, says Bardhan - Apr 15, 2011
- CPI-M leader's speech impermissible, but all to be blamed: Bardhan - Apr 24, 2011
- Third Front parties to meet, but front's revival not on cards - Apr 11, 2010
- Left Front should not run like one-party rule: CPI - Sep 27, 2010
- Left in damage assessment mode - May 17, 2009
Tags: bardhan, biswas, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, debabrata, devarajan, forward bloc, general elections, kerela, left parties, lok sabha election, lok sabha election results, lok sabha polls, pillai, prakash karat, ramachandran, revolutionary socialist party, sitaram yechury, strongholds, west bengal