E. Ahamed returns to MEA after two yearsJanuary 19th, 2011 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) After a gap of two years, E. Ahamed is back in the Ministry of External Affairs, where he had spent five years in the first term of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.He was one of the several ministers of state whose portfolios were reshuffled Wednesday.
Representing Malappuram parliamentary constituency, Ahamed, 72, is a member of UPA ally Muslim League Kerala State Committee, which has sent two members to Lok Sabha from the southern state.
He had been minister of state in MEA from May 2004 till the end of the first tenure of the UPA government. Ahamed had been given the portfolio of the Gulf region, among others, where he had good relations with several of the regional leaders.
A law graduate, he had come into the limelight during efforts towards the successful release of three Indian workers kidnapped in Iraq in 2004. With a proficiency in Arabic, he had made televised appearances on key Arab channels to appeal for the release of the three Indians.
After being sent to the railway ministry, Ahamed is said to have been unhappy with Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee over allocation of work.
- Kerala scores high in central reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- E. Ahamed likely to get cabinet rank soon - May 18, 2011
- Manmohan forms new Team to run India, Kamat quits (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2011
- Keeping assembly polls in mind, Manmohan Singh reshuffles UPA II Cabinet - Jan 19, 2011
- Manmohan drops some, inducts some to better UPA image (Evening Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Ministers assume charge, list priorities (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2011
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Speculation on cabinet reshuffle intensifies - Jun 27, 2011
- PM to think of government reshuffle soon - May 31, 2011
- Ministers spell out priorities on first day in office (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2011
- Congress disapproves Kamat's resignation (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Something old, something new in recast Team Manmohan (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday, Big 4 to continue (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,