DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead)September 14th, 2012 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) The electoral fate of 38 candidates contesting the Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) elections were sealed Friday as the polling ended peacefully. Results will be declared Saturday.
Thirteen candidates are in the fray for the post of president, seven for vice-president and nine each for the posts of secretary and joint secretary.
The main contest is between Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS)-backed Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and the Congress-backed National Students’ Union of India (NSUI). The Left-affiliated All India Students’ Association (AISA) is another significant contender.
ABVP’s presidential candidate is Ankit Dhananjay Chaudhary and Gaurav Chaudhary for vice-president. ABVP’s candidate for secretary is Ritu Rana and Vishu Basoya for joint secretary.
Arun Hooda of NSUI is contesting for the post of president, Varun Khari for vice president, Varun Chaudhary for secretary and Raveena Choudhary for joint secretary.
Apart from the usual street plays and college visits to garner support, the student outfits took to social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter to reach out to a wider electorate.
The ban on printed posters failed to deter the candidates and their supporters as they distributed hundreds of hand-printed posters and pamphlets.
The ABVP had thumped NSUI in the elections last year as it bagged three of the four posts, while NSUI could only manage to win the post of president.
The University of Delhi was established in 1922.
The varsity has 16 faculties and 86 departments spread over north and south campuses. It has 77 affiliated colleges and a few recognised institutes with around 1.5 lakh regular students and more than 2.5 lakh students in the non-formal stream.
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- ABVP tops in Delhi University polls - Sep 04, 2010
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Campaigning for Delhi University polls ends sans fervour - Sep 01, 2010
- Delhi University election results announced - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: abvp, akhil, ankit, college visits, delhi university, dhananjay, facebook, formal stream, gaurav, hooda, india students association, khari, national students, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, social networking sites, south campuses, twitter, university of delhi, varun, vishu