Don’t vote for Pappu Yadav’s candidates, says Lalu PrasadApril 10th, 2009 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 10 (IANS) Railway Minister and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Friday told people in Bihar not to support candidates propped up by murder convict and MP Pappu Yadav, saying he had been expelled from the party.
“I have expelled Pappu Yadav from the RJD. He is no more with the party, do not support him any longer,” Lalu Prasad told people at an election rally in Purnia, about 350 km from here. In the last election, Pappu Yadav had won on an RJD ticket.
This time Pappu Yadav’s mother Shanti Devi is contesting as an independent from Purnia where the RJD’s alliance partner in Bihar, the Lok Janshakti Party of Ram Vilas Paswan, has put up a candidate, Shankar Jha.
Addressing a joint rally along with Paswan and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh, Lalu Prasad urged people not to vote “for the candidate supported by Pappu Yadav in Purnia constituency”.
Last week the Patna High Court rejected Pappu Yadav’s plea to suspend his conviction in a murder case so that he could contest the Lok Sabha election. After he was barred from contesting, he revolted against the Lalu-Paswan alliance in Bihar and said he would campaign for the Congress in the Lok Sabha polls.
His wife Ranjita Ranjan, an LJP MP, has also defected and joined the Congress to contest from Supaul constituency.
Pappu Yadav said he was angry with Lalu Prasad’s ‘highhandedness’ in distributing tickets for the polls. He said he was ignored while the party chose candidates.
- RJD's Pappu Yadav revolts against Lalu, Paswan - Apr 05, 2009
- Campaign ends for first phase of Bihar polls - Oct 19, 2010
- Nitish battles for supremacy in Round one (Bihar Curtainraiser - Phase 1) - Oct 19, 2010
- Development overrides caste in Bihar battle - Oct 17, 2010
- Save me from Pappu Yadav, says CPI-M leader's widow (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Pappu Yadav revolts against Lalu-Paswan, wife joins Congress (Lead) - Apr 05, 2009
- Voting for Purnia by-poll under way in Bihar - Jun 25, 2011
- Slain CPI-M legislator's widow wants protection from Pappu Yadav - Apr 20, 2009
- Jailed criminal from Nitish's camp wins - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar polls: Lalu's brothers-in-law defeated - Nov 24, 2010
- Save me from Pappu Yadav, says CPI-M leader's widow (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Pappu Yadav arrested for violating poll code of conduct - Apr 25, 2009
- Bihar ready for round one of elections - Oct 20, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: alliance partner, bihar, election rally, janata, lalu prasad, ljp, lok sabha election, mulayam singh, murder convict, pappu yadav, party chief, patna high court, purnia, railway minister, ram vilas paswan, ranjita, rjd, Samajwadi Party, shanti devi, vilas