Don’t try honest Achuthanandan, Karat warns Kerala governmentJanuary 20th, 2012 - 11:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 20 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Friday warned the Congress-led Kerala government that people of the southern state will give a befitting response if it proceeded with a case against “honest opposition leader” V.S. Achuthanandan.
“Everybody knows how many corrupt ministers are there in the UDF government of Kerala headed by Oommen Chandy. And that government frames a case against an honest opposition leader…People of Kerala will give them a good response if they try to proceed on this case,” said Karat.
“We have discussed the matter. We are prepared to take this issue to the people and we will see how the people of Kerala respond to it,” Karat told a media conference here.
Achuthanandan, named prime accused in a land transfer case by the Kerala vigilance department, is learned to have spoken to Prakash Karat and conveyed that he wished to step down as leader of opposition. However, the offer has been turned down.
The investigating team has named four Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officials, including the then principal secretary to Achuthanandan, Sheela Thomas, as accused in the case.
The others in the list include the then revenue minister and Communist Party of India (CPI) leader K.P. Rajendran, besides the personal assistant to Achuthanandan, Suresh.
The cabinet also decided to cancel the land allotment in Kasargode district. The alleged land transfer took place at the fag end of Achuthanandan’s tenure as the chief minister.
- Vigilance quizzes Achuthanandan in land transfer case - Jun 23, 2012
- Land scam case against me is baseless: Achuthanandan - Aug 17, 2012
- Achuthanandan offers to quit over land scam, party says no - Jan 13, 2012
- Accuse Achuthanandan in land scam case, says vigilance - Jan 11, 2012
- Achuthanandan to take decision when charge sheet comes (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- I will deal with land transfer case: Achuthanandan - Jan 12, 2012
- Achuthanandan is 'hollow', says Chennithala - Jan 14, 2012
- Land allotment to Achuthanandan's relative to be probed - Jun 01, 2011
- Karat bats for Achuthanandan - Apr 10, 2012
- Setback to Achuthanandan in land grab case - Apr 12, 2012
- Left protests Kerala legislators' suspension - Oct 18, 2011
- Kerala lottery scam being politicised: Karat - Jan 17, 2011
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Achuthanandan faces flak for remarks on ex-CPI-M woman leader - Mar 11, 2012
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: chandy, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, fag end, general secretary, indian administrative service, land allotment, leader of opposition, opposition leader, personal assistant, prakash karat, principal secretary, rajendran, revenue minister, sheela, transfer case, v s achuthanandan, vigilance