Don’t train Sri Lanka Air Force personnel: JayalalithaaJuly 5th, 2012 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 5 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Thursday described the training of Sri Lankan Air Force personnel in Tamil Nadu as an insult to Tamils.
She said this was happening at a time when the Tamil Nadu assembly had passed a resolution that India and other countries should impose economic sanctions against Colombo for committing war crimes.
She said in a statement: “At a time when the international community is raising its voice that India should urge Sri Lanka to accord equal rights to Tamils, the news of nine Sri Lankan air force personnel (coming) for nine months training at the Tambaram air force station (near here) is like piercing (our) heart with a spear.”
She said the training at this juncture and that too in Tamil Nadu “is not only inappropriate but also anti-Tamil”.
Jayalalithaa has accused the Sri Lankan military of committing atrocities on Tamil civilians during the final stages of the war against the Tamil Tigers that ended in May 2009.
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- AIADMK, DMK want Sri Lankan airmen to go (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- AIADMK out of MPs team to Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Send back Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Aug 25, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: air force station, atrocities, chennai, chief minister, colombo, economic sanctions, heart, India, insult, j jayalalithaa, juncture, nine months, spear, sri lanka air, sri lankan air, sri lankan air force, tamil civilians, tamil tigers, train, war crimes