Don’t pay arrears of raised power tariffs: AmarinderJuly 25th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Jalandhar, July 24 (IANS) Former Punjab chief minister and state Congress president Amarinder Singh Tuesday asked people not to pay the arrears of the recently-hiked power tariff in the state.
Addressing a protest demonstration here, 150 km from Chandigarh, to oppose the power tariff hike and the move by the Punjab government to impose fresh taxes, Amarinder Singh said that the Congress will oppose the new taxes and the hike in power tariff retrospectively.
Terming the retrospective hike unjustified and illegal, he said: “Even if you have to raise the tariff you cannot raise it retrospectively as it is illegal.”
He said that the cash-starved Akali Dal-led government was all set up impose fresh taxes of Rs. 9,000 crore on people in Punjab.
“The Congress will not let that happen. The state government is bankrupt and now it had started imposing taxes on the people for generating revenue,” he said.
He said that additional tax was being imposed on sugar and mobile sets.
Amarinder Singh said that the populist free power for farmers scheme of the Punjab government was a farce as no electricity was being supplied to them during the paddy sowing season. Farmers were spending crores of rupees to irrigate fields with generators, he said
- Punjab to 'adjust' enhanced power tariff - Jan 07, 2010
- Amarinder blames Haryana's Congress government for floods - Jul 14, 2010
- Power tariff goes up in Punjab - May 09, 2011
- Clearance to Ludhiana metro project election stunt: Amarinder - Jun 24, 2011
- Congress calls for united opposition in Punjab (Punjab Newsletter) - Sep 07, 2012
- Punjab budget has fatal flaws, says Amarinder Singh - Mar 16, 2011
- Congress to oppose closure of Bathinda thermal plant - Aug 23, 2011
- Trinamool MPs to meet PM Tuesday over petrol prices - Nov 07, 2011
- Industry demands roll back in Goa power hike - May 08, 2012
- Amarinder opposes Operation Bluestar memorial - Jun 05, 2012
- CESC net up 137 percent in Q4 backed by tariff hike - May 08, 2012
- No big revolt, things will calm down: Amarinder - Jan 07, 2012
- Amarinder's return to Punjab is news! (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- Badals getting richer, Punjab poorer: Amarinder - Aug 13, 2011
- Amarinder holidaying in Himachal with Pakistani friend - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: amarinder singh, arrears, chandigarh, congress president, crore, crores, electricity, farce, farmers, generators, jalandhar, power tariff hike, protest demonstration, punjab chief minister, punjab government, rupees, state congress, state government, t pay, tariffs