Don’t open multi-brand FDI in retail, PM toldJuly 22nd, 2012 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party and the Left have urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh not to let FDI in multi-brand retail sector, saying this will virtually destroy India’s retail sector.
“Entry of MNC supermarket and hypermarket chains would cause severe displacement of small and unorganized shopkeepers and traders,” a joint open letter to the prime minister said.
“The entry of the giant Wal-Mart supermarket chain would have a disastrous impact.”
The letter quoted one estimate as saying that a Wal-Mart supermarket in India would displace over 1,300 small retail stores and render about 3,900 people jobless.
“In a situation when employment growth has slowed down, the entry of foreign supermarkets would further aggravate the employment situation.
“We urge the government not to open up the retail trade to FDI any further. Political parties across the spectrum are opposed to this move. Many state governments have also stated their opposition.”
The letter was signed by Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav, CPI-M’s Prakash Karat, CPI’s S. Sudhakar Reddy, Danish Ali of Janata Dal-Secular, Debabrata Biswas of Forward Bloc and Abani Roy of Revolutionary Socialist Party.
The letter pointed out that the Indian retail sector was the second largest employer in India after agriculture.
“It employs over four crore people. Most of these are small unorganized or self-employed retailers.”
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- FDI move will ruin Indian retail trade: CPI-M - Sep 21, 2012
- Don't let Wal-Mart in, says CPI-M - Jul 16, 2012
- FDI in retail will hit 'crores', says CPI-M - Nov 25, 2011
- CPI-M opposes move to allow FDI in multi-brand retail - May 28, 2011
- 'FDI will help modernise retail sector, curb inflation' - Jul 23, 2011
- Wal-Mart to target 35,000 Indian farmers for agri-business supply chain by 2015 - Oct 26, 2010
- Left, BJP slam government over FDI in retail - Nov 25, 2011
- Odisha wants rollback of FDI decision - Nov 28, 2011
- Wal-Mart's Extra Pay Policy For Sunday Coming To An End - Dec 09, 2010
- Government for FDI in multi-brand retail, invites feedback - Jul 06, 2010
- Shopkeepers protest but shoppers don't mind foreign retailers (Afternoon Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- French retailer Carrefour opens first wholesale store in India - Dec 30, 2010
- FDI in retail: Time India removed its blinkers (Comment) - Dec 06, 2011
- India opens doors to global retail chains (Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: biswas, disastrous impact, employment growth, employment situation, fdi, forward bloc, hypermarket chains, manmohan singh, mnc, prakash karat, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, retail sector, revolutionary socialist party, s prakash, Samajwadi Party, state governments, sudhakar, supermarket chain, wal mart