Don’t bring Lokpal bill on last day, BJP warns governmentMay 18th, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday warned the government against bringing the Lokpal bill on the last day of the current budget session of parliament and not to pass it on pretext of time constraint. No such excuse will be accepted this time, it said.
While the fate of the Lokpal bill hangs in balance, BJP spokesperson Syed Shahnawaz Hussain claimed the government was once again about to repeat the episode of winter session by trying to bring the bill on the last day of the session.
“The government is again preparing to bring the Lokpal bill on the last day of the session…this time we will not accept any excuse of time constraint,” Hussain said at a party briefing in the parliament complex.
“The midnight drama will not work this time,” he said.
During the winter session, the Lokpal bill was moved in the Rajya Sabha on the last day of the extended session, but could not be passed as the house was adjourned as midnight struck. The opposition had then accused the government of intentionally delaying and not passing the bill.
The Lokpal bill was scheduled to be taken up in the union cabinet meeting Friday, but was dropped from the agenda. The government has, however, repeatedly said it will bring the bill in budget session, with sources even saying they will try to bring the bill Monday, or Tuesday.
Several amendments have been made to the Lokpal bill to accommodate the concerns of both the opposition and the government’s allies.
- 'Hope Lokpal bill taken for discussion in Rajya Sabha' - May 21, 2012
- Lokpal bill discussed in Rajya Sabha - May 21, 2012
- BJP insists on CBI's independence under Lokpal bill - May 17, 2012
- Parliament's monsoon session delayed, to begin Aug 1 (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- BJP tells Patil to reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP, Congress seek to pin down each other on Lokpal bill fiasco (Intro-Roundup) - Dec 31, 2011
- BJP wanted to keep Lokpal bill in limbo: Narayanasamy - Dec 30, 2011
- Lokpal Bill alive, to be taken up in budget session: Bansal (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Lokpal Bill probably in current session: Khurshid - Mar 26, 2012
- Lokpal bill sent to select committee of Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - May 21, 2012
- BJP slams government on Lokpal, moots amendments to bill (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Lokpal Bill may not be passed in budget session - May 07, 2012
- Lokpal bill listed to be tabled in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Sonia hits out at Team Anna, commits Lokpal (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2011
- Lokpal bill goes to committee, Anna announces another agitation (Roundup) - May 21, 2012
Tags: allies, amendments, bharatiya janata party, bjp, budget session, cabinet meeting, excuse, fate, hussain, New Delhi, opposition, parliament, pretext, rajya sabha, spokesperson, time constraint, union cabinet, winter session