Don’t alienate Muslims and lose votes: Naqvi appeals to BJPJune 21st, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi Sunday appealed to party leaders to ensure that Muslims don’t get alienated and become the cause of the party’s electoral defeat in future again.
Naqvi, speaking on the second day of the party’s two-day national executive meeting here, said: “We know that we don’t get the votes of Muslims, but we must ensure that Muslims don’t become the cause of our defeat.”
According to party sources, Naqvi, also BJP vice president, was referring to the party’s failure to win over the Muslim votes and the polarisation among the community against the party if it adopts hardline Hindutva.
Following the party’s Lok Sabha debacle, Naqvi and another Muslim party leader Shahnawaz Hussain had said the electoral loss was due to the party practising the “Pilibhit brand of Hindutva”, a reference to the alleged hate speeches by BJP’s Varun Gandhi.
Varun Gandhi, who won from the Pilibhit seat in Uttar Pradesh, courted controversy during the run-up to the elections in March by making alleged anti-Muslim speeches. He was censured by the Election Commission and also arrested by the state government. He is out on bail.
Naqvi’s comments come on the second day of the party conclave.
- Maneka says Varun Gandhi being targeted - Jun 20, 2009
- Varun must apologise for communal remarks, says BJP (Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Varun must apologise, action after seeing tapes: BJP (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Rajnath takes onus for BJP poll debacle, swears by Hindutva (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2009
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- India's 'other Gandhi scion' Varun booked for stirring communal cauldron (Roundup) - Mar 17, 2009
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- BJP's Muslim members set off internal debate on Hindutva (Comment) - Jun 27, 2009
- BJP should not lose focus on core issues, says Varun - Feb 06, 2010
- Notice to Varun Gandhi for defamatory remarks during Lok Sabha polls - Jul 28, 2010
- BJP shuns Varun, says abusing religion is not party culture - Mar 17, 2009
- BJP Leaders express anguish over invoking NSA against Varun Gandhi - Apr 04, 2009
- Varun Gandhi says CD doctored, BJP distances itself (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2009
- Shoes hurled at Varun Gandhi's cavalcade - Nov 12, 2011
- Notice to Varun on petition challenging his election - Jul 20, 2009
Tags: abbas, conclave, debacle, election commission, electoral defeat, executive meeting, hussain, Lok Sabha, muslim party, muslim votes, muslims, New Delhi, party leader, party leaders, party sources, polarisation, shahnawaz, spokesperson, state government, varun gandhi