Donating body, eyes gets Basu more admirersJanuary 19th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 19 (IANS) Jyoti Basu’s pledge to donate his body and eyes has drawn all-round praise with medicos and commoners saying the noble deed will motivate others to tread the same path and help in medical treatment and research.
“It is really his greatness that he has donated his eyes so that the blind can be provided vision. His body will surely help medical students in their research work,” said Animesh Debnath, who works as a cook in South Kolkata’s Bhowanipore.
Deb Mukherjee, a small time businessman of South Kolkata, felt Basu’s act will enable him serve the people even after his death.
“Basu was one of the greatest leaders I have seen in my life. He is one of the greatest patriots post-Independence. I do admire his decision to donate his eyes and body as a gesture to serve the people even after his death,” said Mukherjee.
“He was a great leader. Such kind of gesture can be expected from a great leader like him only,” said Saibal Roy, a 35-year-old engineer with a public sector undertaking.
Doctors too hailed the gesture of the veteran leader.
“It’s really appreciable that such a great leader took the initiative to donate his eyes and body. In the near future it will motivate others to donate their eyes so that the blind can see,” said Amalendu Chakroborty, a general surgeon.
Abhijit Banerjee, a doctor said: “It is a great initiative on Jyoti Basu’s part. His initiative will motivate others to donate their eyes and body which are needed for research.”
In 2003 Jyoti Basu signed a pledge to donate his eyes after death to Susrut Eye Foundation. The same year, he penned his resolve to donate his body to a non-government organisation Gana Darpan for medical research.
Basu’s cornea were taken out soon after his death Sunday. His body will be handed over to the state’s only referral SSKM Hospital Tuesday evening.
However, before Basu, two other senior Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders - Anil Biswas and Benoy Chowdhury - had donated their bodies which were handed over to the state-run NRS Hospital after their death.
- Even a year later, Jyoti Basu inspires body donations - Jan 16, 2011
- Two people now see with Jyoti Basu's eyes - Jan 21, 2010
- Body donation wave in Bengal after Basu's deed - Jan 22, 2010
- Basu's eyes given to eye bank as per his wish - Jan 17, 2010
- Buddha, Somnath too have pledged to donate body - Jan 20, 2010
- No Nimhans proposal yet for Basu's brain: SSKM doctors - Jan 22, 2010
- Sheikh Hasina, Sonia Gandhi to attend Basu's last journey - Jan 18, 2010
- S.S. Rajamouli pledges to donate organs - Sep 18, 2012
- This lawyer's fee - eye donation pledge - Oct 31, 2011
- PM, wife pledge to donate eyes - Sep 08, 2011
- Congress, Left slam Mamata on bunglow's renaming - Dec 29, 2011
- Turnout proves people's love for Basu: CPI-M - Jan 19, 2010
- Quiet West Bengal mourns Jyoti Basu - Jan 18, 2010
- Nimhans wants Jyoti Basu's 'agile' brain - Jan 20, 2010
- West Bengal mourns Jyoti Basu (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
Tags: abhijit banerjee, benoy, biswas, body and eyes, commoners, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, cornea, darpan, deb mukherjee, eye foundation, government organisation, greatest leaders, jyoti basu, medical students, noble deed, public sector undertaking, small time, tuesday evening, veteran leader