Don Arun Gawli opts out of poll, to support Milind DeoraApril 7th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 7 (IANS) In a move that surprised many, mafia don-turned-politician Arun Gawli Tuesday opted out of the contest for Mumbai South Lok Sabha constituency and will now support Congress’ Milind Deora.
Gawli will support the “secular and dynamic youth leader” Milind Deora, who is seeking re-election, Akhil Bharatiya Sena (ABS) spokesperson and Gawli’s daughter Geeta Gawli told IANS.
She said as her father was currently in custody under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), it would be difficult for him to campaign and move around the constituency.
“Although there was huge public demand for him to contest, he has decided to opt out in favour of Deora. The ABS will now support the Congress in Mumbai South,” Geeta Gawli, who is a municipal corporator, said.
Incidentally, Gawli’s hopes to enter Parliament will remain unfulfilled for the second time in less than a month.
Last month, the ABS’ merger with Mayawati’s Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) snapped after the party chief declined to give him a ticket from Mumbai South. The merger was exactly a month old when the ABS opted out of the arrangement.
Gawli is the sitting legislator from Chinchpokli constituency, his stronghold in and around Dagdi Chawl, his residence and the ABS’ headquarters.
- Arun Gawli's party to contest 25 seats in BMC polls - Jan 26, 2012
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Intro Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- A peek inside a crime don's lair - Sep 01, 2012
- Mafia dons humbled at the ballot - Oct 22, 2009
- Arun Gawli denied ticket, breaks away from BSP - Mar 27, 2009
- Shiv Sena's Sunil Prabhu is new Mumbai mayor - Mar 09, 2012
- Arun Gawli, 11 others convicted for Sena leader's murder - Aug 24, 2012
- Supreme Court rejects Arun Gawli's bail plea (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Milind Deora takes office in telecom ministry - Jul 13, 2011
- Arun Gawli, 11 others get life for corporator's murder (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Gawli joins hands with BSP - Feb 27, 2009
- Arun Gawli to contest LS polls from North Central Mumbai - Mar 27, 2009
Tags: arun gawli, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, crime act, dynamic youth, favour, geeta, legislator, Lok Sabha, mafia don, Mayawati, milind deora, party chief, politician, sabha constituency, samaj, sena, spokesperson, stronghold, youth leader