DMK’s Baalu to attend UPA second anniversaryMay 22nd, 2011 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Chennai, May 22 (IANS) DMK ministers will skip the United Progressive Alliance’s (UPA) second anniversary dinner to be hosted at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s residence Sunday evening, but the party will have a token representation at the bash - T.R. Baalu.
“Parliamentary party (DMK) chief T.R. Baalu will attend it (the dinner),” DMK patriarch M. Karunanidhi told reporters in Chennai Sunday, two days after his daughter and DMK MP Kanimozhi was sent to jail in connection with the 2G scam.
None of the six DMK ministers in the Manmohan Singh government - including two cabinet rank ministers M.K. Alagiri and Dayanidhi Maran - will be present at the UPA bash that is likely to be attended by Congress president Sonia Gandhi and top leaders of the UPA constituents.
The DMK is the third largest constituent in the UPA coalition with 18 MPs.
Relations between the DMK and the Congress have appeared to be strained following the arrest of Kanimozhi.
Asked about the ties, Karunanidhi replied: “It is not like what you think.”
The DMK chief and former Tamil Nadu chief minister Saturday night discussed with other party leaders the issue of attending the UPA anniversary dinner as ministers and MPs reached Chennai from Delhi.
DMK sources in Delhi said the party was in no mood to celebrate the completion of two years of the UPA as Kanimozhi was in jail.
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidh to visit Delhi Monday, Baalu to attend UPA anniversary (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011
- Ministers to resign Monday, no contact from Congress: DMK (Night Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- DMK to take legal action in 2G spectrum case - Apr 27, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign Monday - Mar 06, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, Raja, Sharad Kumar in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
- Ministers to resign Monday, no hope of patch-up: DMK (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Arrested DMK leaders, cadres released (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Relieved Karunanidhi speaks to Kanimozhi - Nov 28, 2011
- Mullaperiyar: Karunanidhi urges PM to intervene - Dec 26, 2011
- Protesting DMK leaders arrested in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: anniversary dinner, cabinet rank, chennai, chief minister, congress president sonia gandhi, constituents, dayanidhi maran, dmk ministers, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, mps, parliamentary party, party leaders, patriarch, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sunday evening, tamil nadu