DMK for retrieval of island from Sri Lanka: KarunanidhiJune 18th, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 18 (IANS) With Indian fishermen repeatedly being attacked by the Sri Lankan Navy, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi Thursday said the ruling DMK is ready to move a resolution in the assembly to retrieve an island given to Sri Lanka more than three decades ago.
Karunanidhi was replying to demands by legislators, cutting across party lines, for effective steps for the safety of the fishermen.
Katchatheevu island was given to Sri Lanka in 1974 under the terms that Indian fishermen will have access to the island and the nearby waters. Karunanidhi said he will move a resolution for retrieval of Katchatheevu provided all the political parties support it is ready to move a resolution it.
He said DMK never supported handing over of Katchatheevu and has walked out of parliament several times in the past on the
- Tamil Nadu to implead itself in Katchathivu case - Jun 09, 2011
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- DMK for new pact with Colombo over Katchathivu - Feb 03, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka is violating Katchatheevu agreement: Karunanidhi - Dec 10, 2009
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Karunanidhi pledges to resolve fishermen killing issue with Sri Lanka - Mar 20, 2011
- DMK backs Raja but remains wedded to Congress (Roundup) - Feb 03, 2011
- Can't India prevent attacks on fishermen, asks Jayalalithaa - Jan 16, 2011
- Centre forced to announce cyclone relief funds: Jayalalithaa - Feb 03, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to free Indian fishermen - Jul 23, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Jayalalithaa meets PM, talks Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu economy (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: chennai, chief minister, dmk, indian fishermen, legislators, m karunanidhi, more than three decades, nearby waters, parliament, political parties, several times, sri lanka, sri lankan navy, tamil nadu