DMK, Congress poll pact talks inconclusiveFebruary 20th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 20 (IANS) The ruling DMK and its ally Congress Sunday held inclusive seat-sharing discussions ahead of the ensuing assembly elections and decided to meet again at a later date.Speaking to reporters here, state Congress chief K.V. Thangkabalu said: “We will have another round of talks based on the discussions today (Sunday).”
“We will inform our headquarters about the discussions and based on their (central leaders) advice, the next round of discussions will be held,” said Thankabalu.
He said the party’s top command will take a decision on sharing of seats between the two parties.
Following DMK chief and Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi in New Delhi Jan 31, both parties set up a committee to discuss the seat sharing.
The Congress panel comprises of Thankabalu, Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan, Rajya Sabha member Jayanthi Natarajan and state legislator Namakkal Jayakumar.
The DMK panel includes Deputy Chief Minister M.K. Stalin, Electricity Minister Arcot N. Veeraswami, Minister for Law, Courts and Prisons Durai Murugan, Education Minister K. Ponmudy and Lok Sabha member T.R. Baalu.
The DMK and the PMK Friday signed an agreement to jointly fight the assembly elections, with the PMK being allotted 31 seats.
Earlier, the Congress panel met party members from the state in parliament and the state assembly, leaders at the district level and youth wing and heard their views.
The Congress cadres want a larger slice of the seats and a share in the government if the DMK-Congress combine retains power.
The Tamil Nadu assembly has 99 DMK members, 57 from AIADMK, 34 from the Congress and 18 from PMK. The house also has 15 Communist legislators and three members from the MDMK.
- DMK, Congress to hold seat sharing talks Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- Congress-DMK seat-sharing talks inconclusive - Feb 26, 2011
- DMK, Congress to conclude talks on identification of seats - Mar 11, 2011
- Congress panel deliberates on seat sharing with DMK - Feb 14, 2011
- Congress panel consults partymen on seat sharing with DMK - Feb 13, 2011
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Prime Minister, discusses fishermen killings - Jan 31, 2011
- DMK, Congress sign formal agreement on seat sharing - Mar 09, 2011
- DMK, Congress sign pact, but tensions persist (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Congress-DMK meeting on seat sharing cancelled - Mar 03, 2011
- DMK, Congress formally sign seat sharing pact - Mar 09, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- DMK-Congress alliance will win: Thangkabalu - Apr 06, 2011
- PMK to join DMK-Congress combine for Tamil Nadu polls - Jan 30, 2011
- Won't sacrifice seats for Congress: PMK - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, arcot, assembly elections, assembly leaders, central leaders, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, deputy chief minister, dmk members, jayanthi, lok sabha member, m karunanidhi, mdmk, namakkal, p chidambaram, rajya sabha member, state congress, state legislator, union home minister, vasan