DMK calls meeting on Sri Lanka resolutionMarch 17th, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 17 (IANS) The DMK has called a meeting of its high level committee Tuesday to discuss the Indian government’s support to the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in the United Nation Human Rights Council (UNHRC).
In a statement issued here Saturday by DMK general secretary K. Anbazhagan, a meeting of the party’s high level committee has been called under the chairmanship of party president M. Karunanidhi, March 20 at the party headquarters here.
The agenda is to discuss India’s support to the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in the UNHRC for war crimes against the Tamils there.
The meeting comes close on the heels of Karunanidhi warning the central government Wednesday that the DMK would consider it a betrayal of Tamils if the India did not support the resolution against Sri Lanka in the UNHRC.
Referring to External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna’s statement in parliament that India would not take any decision against Sri Lanka, Karunanidhi told reporters here: “DMK MPs Siva and Kanimozhi responded to that by citing India’s stand on the Bangladesh issue. The central government has not answered to that.”
“India should vote in favour of the resolution brought by the US against Sri Lanka, failing which the DMK would consider it as betrayal of Tamils,” Karunanidhi said.
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Karunanidhi berates Krishna over Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- Don't support Sri Lanka at UNHCR, say Tamil parties - Feb 29, 2012
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- India may vote against Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- UN resolution won't change ties with India, US: Colombo - Mar 22, 2012
- Tamil Eelam is my unrealised dream: Karunanidhi - Mar 23, 2012
- Prevent attacks on Tamils, Karunanidhi tells PM - Mar 22, 2012
- Lanka 'war crimes': India cautious, trying for a forward-looking outcome - Mar 14, 2012
- DMK welcomes India's vote against Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- Lanka resolution: Uproar in parliament, India undecided (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2012
- Don't support Sri Lanka at UNHRC, Jayalalithaa urges PM - Mar 07, 2012
- Uproar in Rajya Sabha over Sri Lankan 'war crimes' (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- PM's Sri Lanka resolution statement is evasive and useless: Jayalalithaa - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: betrayal, central government, chairmanship, chennai, external affairs minister, favour, general secretary, indian government, kanimozhi, krishna, m karunanidhi, march 17, mps, party headquarters, party president, siva, tamils, unhrc, united nation, war crimes