DMK calls high-level meeting FridayJune 9th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 8 (IANS) Tamil Nadu’s erstwhile ruling DMK has convened an emergency meeting of its high-level body Friday to take stock of the current political situation.
In a statement issued here Wednesday the party said an emergency meeting of its high level committee has been convened June 10 at 4.30 p.m. at its headquarters.
The meeting would be chaired by the party president M. Karunanidhi. Senior leaders have been asked to attend it.
It comes in the wake of the Delhi High Court’s rejection of bail Wednesday for Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi lodged in the Tihar jail.
Besides Kanimozhi, the high court also dismissed the bail plea of Kalaignar TV Managing Director Sharad Kumar.
Kanimozhi and Kumar are accused as co-conspirators and beneficiaries of the 2G spectrum scam for allegedly accepting Rs.214 crore bribe.
DMK’s former communications minister A. Raja is already in jail in connection with 2G scam.
Karunanidhi’s grand nephew and union minister Dayanidhi Maran is also facing heat over the telecom controversy.
Aircel founder C. Sivasankaran Monday told the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) that he was forced to sell stake in his company after his applications for telecom licence was rejected in 2006 by former communications minister Maran.
Sivasankaran went to the CBI office in New Delhi Monday on his own to meet officials investigating the 2G spectrum allocation from 2001 to 2007, and stated his case.
Maran has stoutly denied the charge.
Karunanidhi Wednesday queried about the possibility of the CBI filing a case against Maran. He told reporters that he has nothing to say on that as Maran himself has said that he would face the case.
The DMK meeting acquires significance in this context and also after Karunanidhi’s comment on his birthday (June 3) that “undesirable friendship would result in trouble”, whi has led to the speculation that he was referring to the seven-year long alliance with the Congress party.
Further, Karunanidhi had also blamed the central government for Kanimozhi’s arrest.
- Karunanidhi to visit daughter in Tihar jail Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Good that Maran resigned, now arrest him: AIADMK - Jul 07, 2011
- JPC meets CBI chief, may call Maran on 2G - Jun 07, 2011
- I will not let down Maran brothers: Karunanidhi - Oct 11, 2011
- Maran will be dropped if probe points finger - Jun 25, 2011
- CBI raids Marans, DMK silent - Oct 10, 2011
- Maran quits as minister after 2G scam involvement (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Karunanidhi to meet jailed Kanimozhi again - Jun 20, 2011
- Was forced to sell Aircel stake, Sivasankaran tells CBI - Jun 06, 2011
- Maran's position shaky, as CBI points finger (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Raja to continue in party and politics: Karunanidhi (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Triggering speculation, Maran meets PM - Jun 30, 2011
- Order Wednesday on bail pleas of Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar - Jun 07, 2011
- Maran resigns from cabinet (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- 2G spectrum case: A chronology - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,