DMK boycotts budget over arrest of party leaders (Lead)August 4th, 2011 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 4 (IANS) The opposition DMK Thursday boycotted the first budget of the AIADMK government in the Tamil Nadu assembly to protest the arrest of four more party leaders on land grab charges, party officials said.
DMK legislators walked out of the assembly Thursday.
Party leader M.K. Stalin told reporters the DMK staged a walkout to protest the “foisting” of land grab cases against its leaders and on the issue of implementing a uniform system of school education.
Former DMK minister and party district secretary N.K.K.P. Raja, Erode municipal mayor Kumar Murugesh, and two other functionaries O.C. Vishwanathan and Rajendran were arrested from Erode, 335 km from here, a police officer told IANS over phone.
Former DMK minister and leader Veerapandi S. Arumugam, who was out on bail in a land grab case, was Saturday put in Coimbatore jail in a similar case. DMK legislator from Chennai J. Anbazhagan was also arrested.
Earlier, DMK president M. Karunanidhi alleged that vendetta politics is being played by the ruling AIADMK which came to power this year. Chief Minister J. Jayalaltihaa has stoutly denied the charge.
- Four more DMK leaders arrested - Aug 04, 2011
- Stalin, 40,000 protesting DMK activists detained (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- DMK leader held on land grab charge - Aug 31, 2011
- Two DMK leaders arrested for land grab - Jul 30, 2011
- Stalin detained, DMK protests across Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Stalin, son booked for land grab - Dec 01, 2011
- DMK's top brass face land grab charge - Dec 02, 2011
- Former DMK minister jailed in land grab case (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Former DMK minister held in land grab case - Aug 25, 2011
- DMK to 'fill the jails' July 4 - Jun 22, 2012
- DMK MP held on land grab charges - Nov 16, 2011
- Another former DMK minister arrested - Jan 23, 2012
- AIADMK following vindictive politics, says Karunanidhi - Jun 06, 2012
- DMK cannot be wiped out: Karunanidhi - Aug 07, 2011
- Eye on polls, DMK top brass begin stock-taking - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: aiadmk, chief minister, district secretary, foisting, land grab, legislator, legislators, opposition, party leader, party leaders, party officials, police officer, rajendran, school education, stalin, tamil nadu, uniform system, vendetta, vishwanathan, walkout