Divided BJP discusses option of backing SangmaJune 17th, 2012 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s core committee Saturday weighed the options of backing P. Sangma for the post of president, even as a section within the party and its NDA allies felt they should not field a candidate against Pranab Mukherjee.
In the nearly three-hour-long meeting, Sangma’s name was raised by L.K. Advani and Sushma Swaraj, sources said.
The leaders also talked to Sangma on phone.
The former Lok Sabha speaker’s name was pitched by AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa and Biju Janata Dal chief Naveen Patnaik. The BJP is considering backing Sangma as it weighs the possibilities of striking an alliance with these two parties later.
However, key National Democratic Alliance allies — the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) — are not in favour of pitching a candidate against Mukherjee.
SAD leader Naresh Gujral also met JD-U chief Sharad Yadav this morning.
A BJP leader told IANS that a section of leaders within BJP were also of view that a candidate should not be fielded against Mukherjee, as he is a veteran leader. He however did not name those leaders.
Another section of leaders meanwhile feels that if they don’t field a candidate in this election, it may give signals of the opposition being weak, at a time when they have presented themselves as an alternate to Congress-led government.
Sunday’s NDA meeting is expected to discuss Sangma, while JD-U and SAD are to bat for not fielding a candidate against Mukherjee.
- BJP discusses Sangma, says aims bigger than presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA meet on presidential candidate begins in Delhi - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Sangma seeks support in Bihar - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP, allies will pitch vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Sangma to canvass in Bihar July 14 - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: akali, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjp leader, core committee, favour, j jayalalithaa, jd, l k advani, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, naveen patnaik, nda allies, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, sad leader, sharad yadav, signals, sushma swaraj, veteran leader