Dismiss legislator’s plea on mosque, court urgedAugust 16th, 2012 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) A political outfit Thursday urged the Delhi High Court to dismiss legislator Shoaib Iqbal’s plea seeking restrictions on the demolition of a mosque constructed at an excavated site near the Jama Masjid.
Vice President of Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha (ABHM) S.S. Sai Baba Om Jee said: “The contents (of Iqbal’s plea) are misconceived, distorted and twisted and the same are nothing but an attempt by intervener Iqbal to frustrate and delay the compliance of the July 30 order passed by the high court.”
The ABHM alleged that the legislator was trying to frustrate the compliance of the court’s July 30 order asking the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to remove the illegal construction at the site to probe whether the 17th century Akbarabadi mosque existed there or not.
Last week, Iqbal filed an application seeking a direction to the ASI that the construction at the site should not be demolished.
He also said that a committee of citizens be formed to assist the ASI in ascertaining if the the Mughal-era Akbarabadi mosque existed at the site.
The court July 30 stayed the construction of a new mosque at the excavated site near the proposed Jama Masjid metro station.
Some people from the area claimed that the Mughal-era mosque’s remains were found at Delhi Metro work project site near Subhash Park station and started construction of a new mosque structure but the court put a stop to it.
Police Aug 7 filed an application in the court seeking direction to Iqbal to remove the structure built by him.
According to the ASI, Subhash Park falls within the restricted zone of two protected heritage sites — Sunehri Masjid and Red Fort — and any construction in the area requires permission from the National Monuments Authority.
It also said that construction at the excavated site was illegal.
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Ban construction at excavated site, ASI tells court - Jul 25, 2012
- Tension defused; controversial mosque site handed over to ASI - Jul 21, 2012
- Raze illegal construction at excavated site: Court (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Tell legislator to remove structure near Jama Masjid: court urged - Aug 07, 2012
- Ban construction at excavated site, ASI tells court (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker - Jul 23, 2012
- Raze illegal construction at excavated site: Court (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Tension defused; Delhi mosque site handed over to ASI (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Court stays construction of mosque near Jama Masjid - Jul 20, 2012
- Raze illegal construction at excavated site: Court - Jul 30, 2012
- Tension at excavated site: Dikshit blames civic agency - Jul 24, 2012
- Court seeks action ASI report over mosque - Aug 24, 2012
- Tension at mosque site, few arrested for stoning police - Jul 22, 2012
- Construction of mosque stayed, thousand pray (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: 17th century, abhm, akhil, archaeological survey of india, bharat, delhi high court, delhi metro, hindu mahasabha, illegal construction, jama masjid, legislator, metro station, mosque, national monuments, New Delhi, om, plea, political outfit, restricted zone, sai baba