Discovery: Donner Party’s member James Reed had a Lincoln documentJuly 21st, 2010 - 7:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, July 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) American researchers have unexpectedly discovered a military document that has former United States president Abraham Lincoln on it.
The document was found among other properties of a member of the Donner Party - James Reed.
The handwriting was studied by librarians, handwriting experts and historians who later confirmed that Abraham Lincoln’s handwriting was on one of the rolls. The rolls contained the list of the volunteer soldiers including Abraham Lincoln who fought in the 1832 Black Hawk War.
Though Abraham Lincoln’s handwriting has been confirmed on only one roll, all the four rolls lists “Private Abraham Lincoln” among the list of soldiers on the roll. “We often find documents that detail fascinating stories about Abraham Lincoln’s life and times, but it is rare indeed for the document to have such an intriguing history after it was written,” according to Daniel Stowell, who is the director of the Papers of Abraham Lincoln.
Among the lines that were written by Abraham Lincoln are two and a half lines that stated some of the properties of Abraham Lincoln. It also noted that Lincoln had a tent that belonged to the United States military, to be returned after his service in the military.
Researchers say without doubt, the document provides insightful details of Abraham Lincoln’s time in the United States army during his military service.
- Donner Party Documents Found With Lincoln's Handwriting - Jul 21, 2010
- Donner Party Member James Reed Carried Abraham Lincoln's Document - Jul 21, 2010
- Constituent Of The Donner Party Held A Document Of Abraham Lincoln - Jul 21, 2010
- Was Abe Lincoln's 'pardon to death row inmate before assassination' claim doctored? - Jan 25, 2011
- Ford Theatre: "Bill Creilly's killing of Lincoln is inaccurate" - Nov 14, 2011
- Abraham Lincoln wanted to deport slaves to British colonies, reveals book - Feb 12, 2011
- US historian denies tampering with Lincoln's last pardon - Jan 27, 2011
- 'Lincoln tried to deport slaves to British colonies' - Feb 12, 2011
- US copper thieves steal sword at Abraham Lincoln's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Newly resurfaced letter brings the question of Abraham Linclon's faith to the fore - Apr 17, 2011
- Today is George Washington's birthday - Feb 22, 2012
- "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" trailer released - Feb 14, 2012
- President Of United States Barack Obama To Mark Memorial Day At Lincoln Cemetery - May 31, 2010
- Lincoln urged Britain to help set up colony for freed slaves - Mar 06, 2011
- Blagojevich Auction Held, Lifesize Elvis Sold As Campaign Fund Stops Paying Storage - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: abraham lincoln, american researchers, black hawk war, discovery, donner party, half lines, handwriting experts, hawk, historians, intriguing history, james reed, librarians, lincoln, military researchers, military service, president abraham lincoln, stowell, tent, united states army, volunteer soldiers