Dimple Yadav elected to Lok Sabha unopposed (Second Lead)June 9th, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 9 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s wife Dimple Yadav was Saturday declared elected unopposed to the Lok Sabha from Kannauj constituency.
Returning officer Selva Kumari J. announced this after the 3 p.m. deadline for withdrawal of candidature from the contest ended.
Informed sources told IANS that Dimple Yadav, 35, the Samajwadi Party candidate, would go to Kannauj, about 125 km away, to collect her winning certificate Tuesday.
An elated Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said his daughter-in-law’s win would script a new chapter for Kannauj.
He thanked, among others, the opposition parties for the victory — since none of them put up any candidate against her.
Her victory became certain late Friday when the two minor contestants against her in Kannauj withdrew from the race, leaving Dimple Yadav as the lone candidate in the fray.
While the BSP and the Congress refused to field a candidate, the BJP made a last-minute decision to contest but its nominee failed to file the papers within the deadline.
On Friday, Dashrath Singh Shankwar of the Sanyukt Samajwadi Dal and Sanju Katiyar, an independent, withdrew from the race, officials said.
Dimple Yadav was fielded by the Samajwadi Party from Firozabad in the 2009 Lok Sabha election.
She then lost to Raj Babbar of Congress, the Bollywood actor who was formerly in the Samajwadi Party.
In the Lok Sabha, she will be in the company of her father-in-law Mulayam Singh Yadav (Mainpuri) and brother-in-law Dharmendra Yadav (Sambhal).
- 'Kidnapped' man challenges Dimple Yadav's election to Lok Sabha - Sep 12, 2012
- BSP not to contest against Dimple - Jun 06, 2012
- Dimple elected to Lok Sabha unopposed (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Dimple collects victory certificate, thanks voters - Jun 12, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to contest from Kannauj? - Mar 15, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Samajwadi Party not to fight in Rae Bareli in 2014 - Sep 13, 2012
- Dimple files nomination, plays 'bahu' card - Jun 05, 2012
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- A word from Sonia means 24x7 power - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP cries foul over nominee's failure to file papers - Jun 07, 2012
- Kannauj Lok Sabha bypoll is slated for June 24 - May 23, 2012
- Akhilesh comes of age in rough, tough UP politics - Mar 06, 2012
- Power woes: Sonia's whisper stronger than SC order - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: bjp, bollywood actor, candidature, chief minister, constituency, dharmendra, firozabad, kumari, lok sabha election, lone candidate, minute decision, new chapter, opposition parties, party candidate, party chief, race officials, raj babbar, returning officer, Samajwadi Party, sanju