Dikshit assures safe GamesAugust 23rd, 2010 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Monday assured the people of incident-free Commonwealth Games in October, saying police and the union home ministry were engaged in preparing a fool-proof security plan.
She told reporters that security for the Oct 3-14 Games was being monitored by Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna and nobody should even question the security plan for the event.
Replying to a short-duration notice on law and order situation in Delhi assembly earlier, Dikshit said all efforts will be made to ensure complete security for the Games.
“Delhi police have also been able to successfully handle all the challenges relating to religious gatherings and important celebrations such as Independence Day and Republic Day,” she added.
The chief minister said the rise in density of population in the city, in which thousands of people come daily, has led to rise in cases of murder, rape and dacoity.
“But, at the same time I would like to draw attention that the police and the home ministry are devising plans and not sleeping,” she added.
There are 83,000 police personnel deployed in the capital and services of another 27,000 are being requisitioned from time to time.
The chief minister also referred to a recent survey of CII that says Delhi is the safest city to live in the country.
Earlier, opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Jagdish Mukhi accused police of failing to control the crime rate in the city and said they should be more sensitive towards women.
Members from both the ruling Congress and the BJP felt that the matters of land and law and order should be brought under the Delhi government. At present, the matters are controlled by the home ministry.
- BJP legislators removed from Delhi house, leaders walk out - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi government formulates response on CWG charges - May 25, 2011
- Delhi government submits response to Shunglu panel report - May 28, 2011
- Make city safe for women, Delhi Police urged - Feb 16, 2011
- Delhi mayor attacks chief minister over women's safety - May 08, 2012
- Report sent to PM on bailout for CWG Village builder - Mar 24, 2011
- Dikshit attacks lieutenant governor - Nov 25, 2010
- India rushes to meet CWG deadlines, PM holds meeting (Roundup) - Sep 23, 2010
- Prepare well, don't panic at terror alert, Delhiites told - May 02, 2010
- India 'absolutely ready' for Commonwealth Games (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2010
- Ruckus in Delhi assembly over irregularities in CWG - Aug 17, 2010
- Sack Sheila Dikshit, says BJP - Mar 30, 2011
- Parties war with one another over parliamentary disruptions - Aug 10, 2011
- Delhi legislators demand statehood - Nov 25, 2010
- CWG scam: Delhi JD-U demands ouster of Sheila Dikshit - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: chief minister, cii, commonwealth games, complete security, crime rate, dacoity, delhi government, delhi police, fool proof security, free commonwealth, games new, lieutenant governor, murder rape, religious gatherings, republic day, safest city, security plan, sheila dikshit, tejendra khanna, union home ministry