Digvijay stands by his words on MamataJune 23rd, 2012 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has said that he stands by every word he said about Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee’s conduct in the run-up to the presidential election, despite the party distancing itself from his remarks.
“I stand by every word that I said,” Digvijay Singh told a news channel in an interview Saturday.
He had termed Banerjee’s behaviour as “immature” and “erratic” during the discussions on the July 19 presidential poll.
He said that Banerjee by naming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as one of her choices for the president’s post was “certainly an embarrassment for the prime minister” and the party.
The Congress had earlier this week snubbed Digvijay Singh after his remarks concerning Banerjee.
“Digvijay Singh is not officially authorised to speak on behalf of the party,” a party statement said.
In a television interview earlier, Digvijay Singh termed Banerjee’s revelation of the names of the Congress’s presidential contenders and her own suggesting three other names without the consent from these leaders as a mistake and “not a mature thing to do”.
“She has been erratic in some way but let us also confess that she has been a great fighter all her life,” the Congress leader said.
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Sonia says only Rahul to decide on his larger role (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Would desperate Mamata be able to save face in another battle? (West Bengal newsletter) - Jul 14, 2012
- Mamata is still our ally: Janardan Dwivedi - Jun 14, 2012
- Congress urges Mamata to support Pranab, says FDI in retail soon - Jun 17, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Inter-party clashes on in West Bengal: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi will be told when to go: Trinamool - Mar 15, 2012
- Trinamool accuses Pranab of trying to break party (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Congress hopes Mamata will support Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- UPA still has substantial majority: Congress - Sep 19, 2012
- Presidential polls dead issue, Mamata my younger sister: Mulayam - Sep 13, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Trinamool to vote for Pranab Mukherjee (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sonia thanks non-UPA parties for support to Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: choices, congress leader, digvijay singh, embarrassment, general secretary, june 23, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, mistake, New Delhi, presidential contenders, presidential election, presidential poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, revelation, television interview, trinamool congress chief