Difficult times for economy, says ManmohanJune 4th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday warned that the Indian economy was passing through “difficult times due to influences beyond (our) control”.
Addressing the Congress Working Committee (CWC) here, he urged Congress activists to educate the public about the “canards and falsehoods” spread against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
“These are difficult times for our country and the economy caused to a large extent by circumstances over which we have little or no control,” he said.
“It is very important for all the leaders and workers of the Congress to educate the public about the canards and falsehoods being spread by those who are opposed to us,” said Singh.
Without naming Team Anna and Baba Ramdev, the prime minister refuted allegations that the government was corrupt and not serious about bringing back the black money stashed by Indians abroad.
“It is alleged that in every area of its activity, our government has swindled unbelievable amounts of money… Every day one hears of astronomical sums of black money that can be brought back in one stroke… Nothing can be farther from truth,” said Singh.
Stating that his government was committed to tackling corruption and had taken legislative and administrative action, he stressed the need to fight the opposition.
“The misinformation being spread by disparate, desperate elements unified by their opposition to our government needs to be tackled effectively,” said the prime minister.
- Sonia pulls up Congress, to pick presidential nominee (Roundup) - Jun 04, 2012
- After NCP, RLD supports Ramdev on black money - Jun 07, 2012
- Reveal plan to tackle black money, graft, Ramdev asks PM - Nov 23, 2011
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives deadline to PM - Aug 12, 2012
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives Monday deadline to PM (lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- PM is a 'witness' in corruption cases, says TDP chief - Jun 02, 2011
- Rahul can be PM if he brings black money back: Ramdev - Jul 18, 2012
- Parties back black money issue inside, outside parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramdev ends fast, targets PM; Congress hits back (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Indian yoga guru refuses to call off hunger strike - Jun 02, 2011
- Mulayam endorses Ramdev campaign on black money - Jun 12, 2012
- Ramdev detained on way to parliament (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- BJP backs Ramdev's movement - Jun 04, 2012
- Corrupt people made PM helpless: Ramdev - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: activists, administrative action, allegations, astronomical sums, baba ramdev, black money, canards, congress working committee, corruption, difficult times, indian economy, indians, manmohan, manmohan singh, misinformation, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, unbelievable amounts