Difference between what Chidamabaram says, practices: BJPFebruary 18th, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) There is a difference between what P. Chidambaram says and what he practices, said the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) after the union home minister said it was not the central government’s lone responsibility to fight terror.
“There seems to be difference in what he (Chidambaram) is preaching and what he is practicing,” BJP leader Balbir Punj said.
“He is right it is not sole responsibility of the central government to combat terrorism. In fact, it is not the responsibility of only state governments either. It is the responsibility of each citizen of this country,” Punj added.
Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee with her counterparts from Tamil Nadu, Odisha and Bihar has strongly opposed the just approved National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
“But if he (Chidambaram) believed in all this, when he was formulating this law, he should have circulated the draft bill to all state governments, sought the views of all chief ministers, should have consulted the opposition parties for a dialogue,” Punj told reporters.
The home minister, speaking after inaugurating the National Security Guard (NSG) hub in Kolkata Saturday, said security of the country is a shared responsibility of states and the centre and central government did not pursue any discriminatory attitude towards the state governments run by other parties.
West Bengal Chief Minister did not attend the event.
- States should have been consulted on NCTC, says BJP - Feb 17, 2012
- UPA trying to change federal structure: BJP - Feb 21, 2012
- Mamata joins chorus against Chidambaram's ant-terror hub (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Dikshit favours counter-terror hub - Feb 21, 2012
- Chidambaram inaugurates NSG hub, Mamata skips event (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Punjab cabinet rejects NCTC proposal - Feb 24, 2012
- Government will address concerns on NCTC: Congress - Feb 19, 2012
- Chidambaram opens security hub, Mamata skips event (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- What chief ministers said against NCTC - May 05, 2012
- CMs to discuss internal security in backdrop of Maoist abductions - Apr 15, 2012
- Government may amend NCTC order after stiff opposition (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- PM assures CMs on anti-terror hub, creation to go ahead (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- CMs' meet to debate NCTC on May 5: Chidamabaram (Second Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Ant-terror hub: Seven CMs take on UPA, Congress downplays threat (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Seven CMs take on UPA, Congress downplays threat (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,