Diamond workers from north Gujarat threaten to boycott pollsFebruary 17th, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Palanpur (Gujarat), Feb 17 (IANS) Workers of diamond polishing units from north Gujarat, who lost their jobs due to the global financial meltdown, have threatened to boycott the Lok Sabha elections to protest government apathy towards their plight.
“We are firm on boycotting the Lok Sabha elections. Whether to field our own candidates or not will be decided within a fortnight,” Banaskantha Diamond Majdoor Union president Ashok Purohit said Tuesday.
He was speaking at a condolence meeting held at Palanpur, 150 km from Ahmedabad, for two diamond workers who committed suicide last Saturday and Sunday.
Purohit made it clear that forthcoming Lok Sabha polls will be boycotted by the diamond workers of Banaskantha district.
“We will not yield to allurements. We will go to every house and even to remote villages of the district urging the people to boycott the polls.”
He said a meeting of diamond workers from all north Gujarat districts - Patan, Mehsana and Banaskantha - will be called shortly to discuss the future course of action about fielding candidates.
“Our plan is to involve 30 lakh (3 million) diamond workers in the state who with their families would be numbering 1 to 1.5 crore (10-15 million) in terms of votes,” Purohit said.
“We will take out a rally soon in various parts of the district and will go house to house explaining our stand for the poll boycott,” said K.S. Mogra, president of the Banaskantha Vikas Manch.
- Gujarat's distressed diamond workers now mull selling organs - Feb 16, 2009
- 17 of 35 stranded in flood ravaged Patan District rescued - Jul 27, 2010
- BSP declares first list of Lok Sabha candidates in Gujarat - Apr 04, 2009
- Voters boycott polls in parts of Delhi - Apr 15, 2012
- Congress dissidents' candidates will lose: Pranab - Apr 11, 2011
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Gujarat BJP protests against fuel price hike - Jun 26, 2010
- Gujarat Congress CD shows ex-legislator distributing money - Mar 19, 2009
- Asia's largest solar park functional in Gujarat - Apr 19, 2012
- 54 percent peaceful polling in Bihar first phase (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2010
- 'Kidnapped' man challenges Dimple Yadav's election to Lok Sabha - Sep 12, 2012
- Mild earthquake in Gujarat's Patan District - Sep 02, 2010
- Prepare for 2014 general elections, Rahul tells Congressmen - Apr 05, 2012
- After urban wins, BJP upbeat in UP - Jul 18, 2012
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, apathy, ashok, diamond workers, financial meltdown, fortnight, jobs, last saturday, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, mehsana, mogra, north gujarat, plight, poll boycott, purohit, rally, saturday and sunday, suicide, union president