Dialogue important for peace in Baltistan: MalikMarch 10th, 2012 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 10 (IANS) Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has stressed the importance of dialogue to solve the deteriorating law and order situation in Gilgit- Baltistan, the Dawn News reported.
Malik met Baltistan’s Chief Minister Syed Mehdi Shah, Governor Pir Karam Ali Shah and other high officials of the newly-declared province Saturday.
“The ministry would provide the list of the alleged miscreants to the ‘jirga’ (the tribal assembly of elders) and it would be their responsibility to make sure their arrest,” he said.
Malik added that if the situation could not be handled through negotiations or jirga’s involvement then the route of military operation could also be opted for.
The minister was holding talks with high officials of the province after sectarian violence erupted in the region two weeks ago, when 18 Shia bus passengers were killed by gunmen after forcing them to disembark on the Karakoram highway.
–Indo-Asian News Series
- Pakistani Army offers to probe bus passengers' killing - Mar 01, 2012
- Pakistan launches 4,500 MW dam project - Oct 19, 2011
- Pakistan-Tajikistan road to cost Rs.2 bn - Oct 19, 2011
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 14 dead in Pakistan violence (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Pakistan wants road connectivity with Tajikistan - Oct 10, 2011
- Pakistan seeks road connectivity to Central Asia - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Gilgit Baltistan and Shafqat Inquilabi' (Part 1) - Jun 13, 2010
- Gilgit-Baltistan is part of Kashmir, asserts India - Jan 01, 2010
- 9 killed in wave of sectarian violence in Quetta - Sep 01, 2012
- Sania, Shoaib's honeymoon in Gilgit-Baltistan? - Apr 08, 2010
- Pak contemplating provincial status for Gilgit-Baltistan - Jan 07, 2010
- 10 bus passengers shot dead in Pakistan - Apr 03, 2012
- Jiabao to visit Pak next month for "deepening strategic cooperation" - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: ali shah, asian news, bus passengers, chief minister, dawn news, elders, gilgit, gunmen, interior minister, jirga, karakoram highway, karam ali, law and order, mehdi shah, military operation, miscreants, pir, rehman malik, sectarian violence, shia