Dhoni casts vote in Jharkhand by-pollJune 12th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 12 (IANS) Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni Tuesday cast his vote here for the by-poll in Jharkhand’s Hatia assembly constituency.
Dhoni, who arrived in his hometown three days ago, cast his vote at a polling booth situated at the DAV school, Shyamali. According to his family, this was the first time he cast his vote after joining the national team eight years ago.
Dhoni’s brother Narendra Singh campaigned in favour of the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU). AJSU President and Deputy Chief Minister Sudesh Mahto is also a friend of Dhoni.
An electorate of 4,02,181 will decide the fate of 29 candidates in the fray. The key contest is among the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Congress, the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) and the AJSU.
The BJP and the AJSU are partners in the ruling alliance in the state.
The Hatia seat fell vacant after Congress legislator Gopal Nath Sahdeo passed away in 2010. An election petition had held up the election so far.
- Jharkhand by-poll Tuesday amid tight security - Jun 11, 2012
- Voting under way in Hatia bypoll in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2012
- 42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll: AJSU leads; BJP, Congress trail - Jun 15, 2012
- AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Whom to support for Hatia by-poll? JMM to decide May 28 - May 26, 2012
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: Congress, JMM win, BJP loses - May 03, 2012
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
- Petrol hike hits Congress in Hatia - May 24, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, constituency, cricket captain, dav school, deputy chief minister, election petition, electorate, fate, favour, hatia, indian cricket, jharkhand, legislator, mahendra singh dhoni, narendra singh, polling booth, students union, sudesh, vikas