Dhaka could be next stop for foreign troops: Islamist leaderMay 10th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 10 (IANS) After Afghanistan and Iraq, Bangladesh could be the next destination of “foreign troops” engaged in battling Muslim militants, an Islamist leader has warned here.
The charge by Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami (JeI)’s Ameer (chief) Motiur Rahman Nizami Saturday comes close to a similar statement by former prime minister Khaleda Zia.
The two shared power during 2001-06, but badly lost in last December’s election.
Nizami said that “a certain quarter” was inviting “foreign forces to Bangladesh in search of militants mentioning the country’s inability to fight against militancy”.
The Jamaat chief was addressing a council of Bangladesh Islamic Lawyers Association, The Daily Star said.
The remark was a reference to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government that has mooted a South Asian task force to counter terrorism, political observers said. The government has discussed the issue with India and the US.
Nizami alleged that “a number of Indian intellectuals have been trying to label Bangladesh as the ‘next Afghanistan’”.
“After 9/11, foreign forces cracked down on Afghanistan and then Iraq. Now it is heard that they are in search of another Muslim state,” the Jamaat chief said.
Besides JeI, which is the largest Islamist party in the country, “the entire nation would be harmed by the activities of any foreign force if they come here in search of militants like (in) Iraq and Afghanistan”, Nizami warned.
- Top three of Bangladesh religious party arrested - Jun 29, 2010
- Dhaka gets tough with Islamist party - Jun 30, 2010
- Bangladesh Islamists to counter 1971 `war crimes' charge - Jul 06, 2010
- Dhaka's Islamist leader admits after 40 years: 'It was genocide' - May 05, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition leader faces trial for 'war crime' - Dec 30, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition parties to launch stir against Hasina - Jun 06, 2010
- Bangladesh Islamist leaders sued for hurting Muslim sentiments - Mar 22, 2010
- Fight Indian pressure: Dhaka Jamaat leader - Apr 16, 2010
- Arrest warrants against Bangladesh Islamists - Jul 26, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition parties intensify anti-government stir - Jul 04, 2010
- Dhaka gets tough with Islamists on 40th Victory Day - Dec 16, 2010
- Bangladesh moves against Islamists for 1971 killings - Jul 15, 2010
- Bangladesh begins war crimes trial process - Jul 25, 2010
- No 1971 trial details to media, rules Dhaka panel - May 25, 2011
- Bangladesh changes rules to detain 1971 war criminals - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,