Designers support Anna Hazare’s causeAugust 19th, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 19 (IANS) Designers at the Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) may be consumed by the fashion extravaganza but they haven’t deviated from their duty as citizens of India. They are going all out in expressing their support for the anti-corruption movement initiated by activist Anna Hazare.
Designer duo Parvesh-Jai have pinned a small picture of Anna on their sleeves with ‘I am Anna’ written below.
“I am supporting him. Wearing a ribbon for breast cancer and AIDS (awareness), it’s like that. Corruption is the cancer of the society. I am not promoting the protest in a major way but of course in a subdued way. I don’t want to superimpose my views on others. I don’t want to be too loud, but yes am supporting him,” said Parvesh.
Echoing this, Jai added: “I am supporting him. I am not promoting him as a fashion designer but as an Indian. Being a citizen of this country, I have to be responsible for something and I have to be there with Anna. I am not promoting his protest through my collection but I am with Anna. This is my duty.”
“I think any cause, which is for the betterment of the society, betterment of the democracy, something which is right, has to be supported, said designer Nachiket Barve.
“It requires cumulative and intelligent steps from those who are educated and empowered,” Barve told IANS.
“My support is always there for anyone who initiates such a movement against plaguing social issues,” said designer Swapnil Shinde.
“We all will support this cause in any which way. There are so many flaws in our system coming up again and again. Be it Anna Hazare or anyone else, whoever initiates such movement I am going to support him without a doubt,” Shinde added.
- A potpourri of business for designers at LFW (Review) - Aug 22, 2011
- Festive wear to dominate LFW runway (Preview) - Sep 16, 2010
- Designers tap small towns with big aspirations (Feature) - Aug 21, 2011
- Nachiket Barve brings the 'Golden Hour' to LFW ramp - Aug 19, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan creates frenzy on LFW day three - Sep 19, 2010
- Hema surprised at youth rallying behind Anna - Aug 20, 2011
- Sonia pleads but Hazare doesn't give up as talks fail (Roundup) - Apr 07, 2011
- Bollywood continues to support Anna Hazare's movement - Apr 08, 2011
- Sonia pleads but Hazare not to give up as talks fail (Intro Roundup) - Apr 07, 2011
- LFW Winter/Festive 2011 all about business (Curtain raiser) - Aug 15, 2011
- Bollywood celebs don't detract from creations: Fashion designers - Sep 28, 2010
- Bollywood hails Anna Hazare's triumph - Apr 11, 2011
- No time or money for copyright, say Indian designers - May 04, 2011
- People should actively participate in Hazare's movement: Shabana - Aug 19, 2011
- Infosys' Murthy favours PM, judiciary under Lokpal's ambit - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: activist, aids, aids awareness, anna hazare, barve, betterment, breast cancer, citizen, corruption, democracy, designers, doubt, fashion designer, fashion extravaganza, jai, lakme fashion week, lfw, protest, ribbon, social issues