Deserted roads in capital on I-DayAugust 15th, 2011 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Heavy downpour and strict security measures left the roads across the national capital deserted with people mostly prefering to stay indoors enjoying an extended weekend.
Shops in most parts of the capital were closed and street vendors were conspicuous by their absence. Police had seen to it that most of them did not do their business.
“It was surprising to see the roads so empty. I reached my office at Gurgaon in record time. This only happens during public holidays,” said 25-year-old Amitabh Chauhan, a call center employee.
People in various areas and societies celebrated Independence Day by hosting national flags and organising cultural programmes.
At some places, those who had taken out their vehicles faced barricades put up by police. People were also asked to avoid Red Fort and adjacent roads because of the main I-Day function there.
“There must have been inconvenience to people as well because of rains and arrangements. I am sure we must have taken all this in our stride for the big occasion we have as a nation,” Joint Commissioner of Police Satyendra Garg wrote on a social networking site.
- Delhi on high alert ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- A perky Jai Hind; a speech sans applause (I-Day sidelights) - Aug 15, 2011
- Commuters fume over traffic curbs for BRICS summit - Mar 28, 2012
- Traffic tangles in Delhi after power failure, rains - Jul 31, 2012
- Women two-wheeler riders may have to wear helmets - Jul 04, 2011
- Traffic advisory announced for Friday Tazia processions - Dec 16, 2010
- Delhi's night riders stop-question-check, nab 90 criminals - Apr 20, 2011
- Over 300 held for drunk driving in three hours in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Delhi drive: 543 commercial vehicles prosecuted - Jul 13, 2011
- Rains fail to dampen Rakhi festivities in Delhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Delhiites ignored traffic advisories and suffered: Police - Jan 24, 2012
- Delhi Traffic Police chief upset with VIP law breakers - Feb 07, 2011
- Traffic advisory issued for Games' closing ceremony - Oct 11, 2010
- 181 more prosecuted for drunk driving - Mar 10, 2012
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: absence, amitabh, barricades, call center, commissioner of police, garg, gurgaon, heavy downpour, inconvenience, independence day, national flags, New Delhi, public holidays, record time, social networking site, street vendors, strict security