Derecognise MNS as political party: RJDOctober 24th, 2008 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 24 (IANS) Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MPs Friday asked the Election Commission to de-recognise the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) as a political party following its attacks on north Indians during a railway recruitment examination in Mumbai on Sunday.“We the members of RJD, strongly urge the Hon’ble Commission to take immediate action for cancellation of registration of MNS for its unconstitutional activities and debar it from contesting elections so that the unity and integrity of our country can be protected,” read a statement released by RJD MPs.
The RJD blamed MNS chief Raj Thackeray for inciting violence against non-Maharashtrians, particularly people from Bihar, eastern Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand.
“Raj Thackeray has also hurt the sentiments of north Indians by passing derogatory remarks regarding their religious festivals such as Chhath Puja, the most sacred festival of Bihar and eastern UP,” MPs said in the statement.
On Oct 18, MNS workers attacked non-Maharashtrians, particularly those from Bihar, appearing for a railway recruitment examination in Mumbai. Youths who returned to Bihar Tuesday alleged that a candidate, Pawan Kumar, was killed by MNS activists in Mumbai.
On Thursday, an all-party meet called by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar decided to send a delegation to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister Shivraj Patil.
In the Lok Sabha, the RJD and Ram Vilas Paswan led-Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) have been demanding strong action against Raj Thackeray, bringing the house to a halt.
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Arrest Raj Thackeray under NSA: Paswan - Oct 31, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh Congress welcomes Thackeray's arrest - Oct 21, 2008
- Impeachment motion a 'foregone conclusion', writes Justice Sen - Sep 02, 2011
- Hold Chhat Puja but don't politicise it, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Oct 31, 2008
- Breakaway Shiv Sena faction chief arrested for Maharashtra Sadan attack (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- Lalu, Nitish urge PM to ensure Biharis' safety in Maharashtra - Oct 27, 2008